Welbike registry / history how many exst ?

jmyakovich

Thanks Ron,

Yes, I have a registry, 60 original Welbikes in it, but am not so sure all the owners will want their numbers published??

And I don't know you from Adam, so please introduce yourself a bit etc. do you have one yourself??

Only from 3 maybe we know where it served during the war, most were however never used at all!!

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

welbike@welbike.net

Hi

Just seen this thread my Welbike Mk1 Series 2

Frame number 1260

Renovated 2 years ago

selling file 004 (2).jpg

65.jpg

welbike 058.jpg

I wonder why yours has got two petrol tank strips on each side? Ron

I was told by Welbike UK that it is an early Mk1 . They told me its the 2 straps that make it an early batch in production,and how it came to have the 2 petrol tank straps.

Quote: The first batch in production they found they had put the tank straps at the wrong angle and too far forward so the wheel caught on the tanks . They returned this particular batch back to the workshops ,rather than cutting the wrongly placed one's off they just placed a "new" strap at the back of the existing one and drilled it accordingly to accept the tanks.

Edited by Davey089

I was curious as to why myself .I thought at some point it had been "played" with, I was going to remove the extra strap when I had got the steering stem replaced .When I took it to Welbike UK to have the steering stem replaced it was then that they told me about the "mistake" , and it being one of the early batch , so I left it as it was .

Edited by Davey089

• 8 years later...

G'Day Welbike Owners

Not sure if this chat forum is still active however I am in the market for a welbike however with the number of copies floating around I want to educate myself on how to confirm a Welbike is an authentic item, be it resorted or unrestored.  Is there a frame number and or matching engine number that can be confirmed as with the later Brockhouse Corgi's.  What other features can be used to confirm an original welbike?

Best Regs from Oz

Andrew

Well I'm still here and no doubt Lex will be along sometime. He's in UK at the moment and will be at my house tomorrow.

Any fake CAN be made to look original with enough effort. But the first thing to check would be the engine number. They were not matching numbers but were all prefixed XXE, which is unique to a Welbike. It's not easy to modify an XXA Autocycle engine number without destroying the raised cast in "No". 

The frame number is on the front of the headstock and is usually a light stamping (So as not to distort the tube). Underneath that is the inspectors acceptance stamp which includes a "crows foot" over an "M" and the inspectors number under that....... Ron 

WLightweights 082.JPG

W frame number 555.jpg

Edited by Ron

The acceptance marking (a broad arrow over a letter M over a number 419) was made with one single stamp. Due to the roundness of the tube, the first or the last digit of the tube are sometimes so faint that you can't see them. Below another genuine Welbike acceptance marking, and one that I spotted on a fake Welbike.

Jan

genuine welbike.jpg

fake welbike.jpg

On 1/10/2014 at 8:46 PM, Davey089 said:

I was told by Welbike UK that it is an early Mk1 . They told me its the 2 straps that make it an early batch in production,and how it came to have the 2 petrol tank straps.

Quote: The first batch in production they found they had put the tank straps at the wrong angle and too far forward so the wheel caught on the tanks . They returned this particular batch back to the workshops ,rather than cutting the wrongly placed one's off they just placed a "new" strap at the back of the existing one and drilled it accordingly to accept the tanks.

I have the oldest known MK1, and nothing like 2 tank straps, someone must have done something wrong at the factory!

Lex

IMG_8013.jpg

Edited by welbike

Yes, only ever saw one strap, but then, it could be very possible, if someone would want to fake it, he wouldn't want to do it this way! please send me the frame and engine numbers, and I will add it to my register, all is very confidential ofcourse.

Cheers,

Lex