Wharton winch Foden

Hi we have fitted two of the Foden front mounted winches to a modern Daf wrecker. When we fitted the winches the cables at the hook end had both been burnt of. In order to get new ends on we pulled the ropes in freewheel and to our suprise both cables completely came of the drum with no effort. the ropes have now got nice new hooks on and have been refitted and we have drilled and tapped the drum to fit grub screws to terminate the cable to the drum. My question is how on earth were they fitted originally surely not the end of the rope just poked through the hole in the drum.

From memory the number of coils to be left on the drum was 3 for the min winch, 4 for the hoist and 5 for the front so there must be a securing clamp somewhere on the end of the drum.

Have you got the AESP for the Foden? surely that would tell you.

No i havnt got any manuals for the vehicle. We havent found any way of anchoring the wire. there is hole cast into the drum for the wire. we have drilled and tappped in to the side of this and anchored the wire with grub screws.

there may be something on the backside of drum but you would have to disassemble the winch to see this

What did you use to make a new termination on the cable?

R

We sent the cables to our local ship riggers/ test house they swagged on two New hooks with Tulrit splices £45 i think its cheap for peace of mind. plus lot easier to handle than the MOD blocks they come with

Nice to see you putting these winches to good use Steve.

Could put a lot more to good use if could find them at right price. They are certainly a nice piece of kit. The daf they were fitted to finally went to work yesterday. Son and another lad who worked it are more than happy with performance of winches. Time will tell but they are more than a match for anything available on the civillian market at eqivalent rating 10 ton

• 1 month later...
From memory the number of coils to be left on the drum was 3 for the min winch, 4 for the hoist and 5 for the front so there must be a securing clamp somewhere on the end of the drum.

Have you got the AESP for the Foden? surely that would tell you.

Correct, ref coils, 45m front 65m crane, 85m main winch,

I think the front winch was held by a small hook / lug but cannot say for sure, there were problems with early whartons where the oil seal was perished and the oil drained from one side to the other,

Front winch, Hot tip when winching under load and you stop, you need to winch out before winching in as the action of the spirod braking gears can cause the rope to snap.

john

[quote

Front winch, Hot tip when winching under load and you stop, you need to winch out before winching in as the action of the spirod braking gears can cause the rope to snap.

john

Bit more info please i have three of these winches how does it over load rope