Ptarmigan Triffid/Radio Relay FV439

Tony M

FV439.jpg

I thought this is a logical step for my next project from the Ptarmigan comms wagon.

KFS will be bringing out the FV432 in the not too distant future so a major conversion is in order, however.......

There's 3 variations of the 439 (Which is the Signals variant), Triffid/Radio Relay being one of them but I've never seen one in the flesh & as I have to research what the 439 looked like I've noticed that there are subtle differencies between the Radio Relay range, so any comments about 'this wasn't there' or 'that was here' would all be all technically correct to what ever 439 they know or came across.

I would like to get to see a Triffid/Radio Relay FV439 in the flesh for photos & measurements, so if anyone knows of one in or near the north of England, I would be most grateful for any help.

Some of the comms kit is the same as the Ptarmigan comms wagon so I'll be making them first & post pictures as I'm going along & hopefully they'll be better than my last project?

inside 2.jpg

Regards

Tony M

I'll bet it was nice'n'warm in there with all that lot humming away :wow:

Tony, I know Leicester is not exactly 'north' but there was a 439 at Armourgeddon when I went down to photograph the 5.5"....bound to be one a bit closer....but if you get stuck its a start.

H

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72080[/ATTACH]

I thought this is a logical step for my next project from the Ptarmigan comms wagon.

KFS will be bringing out the FV432 in the not too distant future so a major conversion is in order, however.......

There's 3 variations of the 439 (Which is the Signals variant), Triffid/Radio Relay being one of them but I've never seen one in the flesh & as I have to research what the 439 looked like I've noticed that there are subtle differencies between the Radio Relay range, so any comments about 'this wasn't there' or 'that was here' would all be all technically correct to what ever 439 they know or came across.

I would like to get to see a Triffid/Radio Relay FV439 in the flesh for photos & measurements, so if anyone knows of one in or near the north of England, I would be most grateful for any help.

Some of the comms kit is the same as the Ptarmigan comms wagon so I'll be making them first & post pictures as I'm going along & hopefully they'll be better than my last project?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72081[/ATTACH]

Regards

Tony M

Feller, have a look at FB and maybe get in touch with Daz Ginn, I know he served on Panzers.

Cheers

Clive

• 3 weeks later...

Scam 12 mast

On the Ptarmigan comms wagon, I built the mast from evergreen & brass.......

& as you see it's prominently from evergreen.

scam mast 7.JPG

On the fv439 I decided to add more detail to the mast & there are 70 separate parts of which only 13 are evergreen...

scam mast 4.JPG

The rest are brass & are soldered together....

scam mast 6.JPG

On these masts, there are moveable carrying handles & moveable handles that are for doing 'swings' for the directional antenna......

scam mast 5.JPG

The mast can still be extended but the sections will be kept in the closed position when on the 439......

Tony M

Hi Tony

Nice to see you have got your teeth into the new project already !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have added this to my faves and will be watching closely !!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the KFS kit when it comes on line too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Hi Tony

Nice to see you have got your teeth into the new project already !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have added this to my faves and will be watching closely !!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the KFS kit when it comes on line too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Nige

By the sound of it, there's enough detail on KFS's 432 without what I'm going to add to it & that comes with instructions, looking forward to it tho but, like yourself, I'm relying on other people for the relevent info for me to complete the project.

I'll just keep plodding along eh lol

Tony

Tony,

Looking sweet already mate.

DJ working on the pack at present, hull & interior all finished. CAD for the track/sprockets & road wheels 75% there now. So masters could be ready next month.:yay:

Hopefully AndyM can get my problem with downloading 430 manuals sorted over the w/e. I'll let you know if there is any useful 439 stuff amongst it.:coffee:

Remember I want to see warm glowing lights inside:cool2::cool2:....loads of em

Howard @ KFS

Tony,

Looking sweet already mate.

DJ working on the pack at present, hull & interior all finished. CAD for the track/sprockets & road wheels 75% there now. So masters could be ready next month.:yay:

Hopefully AndyM can get my problem with downloading 430 manuals sorted over the w/e. I'll let you know if there is any useful 439 stuff amongst it.:coffee:

Remember I want to see warm glowing lights inside:cool2::cool2:....loads of em

Howard @ KFS

Cheers H

Still, ya a bugger lol. I've got the fiber optics & leds.

Once I start on the Triffids I can work out what I need to do & once your kit is out I can then work out where it's all gunna go?

No damn pressure! lol

Tony M

No pressure on you at all Tony !!!!!!!!!!!

You just have to improve on your MK build !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!

NO PRESSURE REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Nige

With the amount of hours of labour that is going to be put into this project, if I was to charge, per hour, I could afford a 'real' fv439 lol, that's a thought...........

I'll buy a real one, take some photos, post em up on here & say "look what I've built" lol

Tony M

I know where there is a FV439 if you wanted to have a look around one in the "Flesh". Based near Telford.

If it's a Radio Relay version, bring it on, I'm more than happy to arrange something & travel.

Can you private message on here? If you can, drop me some contact details.

regards

Tony M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm about to start an FV439 SRC50 in 1:35 scale using the Accurate Armour kit. I got these photos of the vehicle at Armageddon near Leicester last year

Wasn't allowed to climb over it and I was with a group on a tank paintballing day but it was a start :-) I may be back there again soon so I'll do a proper walk around - also going to a tank driving day near Doncaster on Saturday and they have loads of 432 based vehicles, so I'll keep an eye out in case they have one...

http://s110.photobucket.com/user/mjstubley/slideshow/FV439%20SRC50

Do you have any pics of the top of the genny housing and interior?

Cheers

Edited by mjstubley1

I'm about to start an FV439 SRC50 in 1:35 scale using the Accurate Armour kit. I got these photos of the vehicle at Armageddon near Leicester last year

Wasn't allowed to climb over it and I was with a group on a tank paintballing day but it was a start :-) I may be back there again soon so I'll do a proper walk around - also going to a tank driving day near Doncaster on Saturday and they have loads of 432 based vehicles, so I'll keep an eye out in case they have one...

http://s110.photobucket.com/user/mjstubley/slideshow/FV439%20SRC50

Do you have any pics of the top of the genny housing and interior?

Cheers

Hi

I'm helping you & I need help? lol

I've only a few pics of the interior & they are of the SAS MC & Triffid Radio Relay.

I was given loads of pics from the SAS MC of the genny housing & gennies & a few measurements.

Private message me your email & I'll forward ya what I'v got.

As for 'not' being let loose on the 439, I really need measurements & more pics inside & outside.

Ideally I need to be let loose all over a Ptarmigan Triffid Radio Relay FV439, for pics & measurements so I've got a good understanding for when I start my project.

Without the info, I won't be able to complete it? Maybe Armourgeddon have to deal with Health & Safety, that's why you wasn't allowed to climb on it?

Tony M

A breeze for a mann of your calibre Tony !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on mate ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yer slackin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get yer finger oot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will be watching closely !!!!!!!!!!! Look forward to meeting up with you at Perth too !!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Result!

SDC12525 2.jpg

I'd like to thank Bruce for allowing me to crawl all over his fv439 (before it's sold) & take close onto 350 photos with loads of measurements.

Top bloke & he took me for a run out on his other 432 (he drove lol).

Shame the 439 is gunna be debagged & turned back into an APC.

Again thanks Bruce.

Tony

Shame the 439 is gunna be debagged & turned back into an APC.

Tony

Why would anyone want to do that when 432s are ten a penny? :-(

Anorak department - does the Triffid variant have the same piano boards as the 432 or the odd ones of the 439 SAS/MC?

Andy

It was great to meet you today, and I am very happy to help - your RR Bedford Scaled Model is very impressive. I really wanted the 439 to be kept as it is, but it needs storing under cover and apart from yourself no one seems to be interested in it.

Edited by Hen Hunter

Tony - you wondered what that "Box" on the right just through the door was - well I have found out.......

RRIE for RRIE.jpgRadio Relay Installation (Tracked) Access

The RRIE is contained within a single enclosure and is used in a FV439 tracked equipped vehicle.

The RRIE enables interconnection between the group traffic and EOW carried over a UHF radio link and the group traffic and EOW carried over a Quad cable by providing code conversation and regeneration of signals between the two.

To perform its function the RRIE contains 2 line modems, each of which is connected via the equipments connectors to a UHF radio, a line protection element (which connects to the HF quad cable) and an SEOW (Single Engineering Order Wire). Only one of the 2 arrangements so formed is operational at one time. The 2 line modems and those external connectors of the RRIE which are duplicated, are designated A and B.

Supporting the line modems, are an alarm control module which monitors for internal and external equipment failure, a BERTS/BITE module which provides test signals and test signal monitoring facilities, and 2 supply modules.

The above information was taken out of Ptarmigan Radio Relay Training Pamphlet No 86 dated 1999!

Edited by Hen Hunter