Zinc Chromate Carburettor Colour?

ajmac

I need to refinish a carburettor body that is a zinc casting, originally they were dipped to give a protective light green finish which I believe was a chromate conversion. Any ideas who in the UK can refinish to this wartime Ford spec?

The casting will probably be one of the grades of ZAMAK.

It will be a form of chromate conversion coating. However - you are talking just microns deposit. I would check on a possible more modern improved coating (that will stand up to E10 ethanol petrol better) , to somebody with the tanks colour is not a problem.

I am certain - this firm could do it (if you had a basket full) :-

http://www.ellison-group.co.uk/

---

This firm should be able to do it , more bespoke :-

http://www.almitgroup.co.uk/about.html

---

This firm may just have tanks :-

http://www.ashfordchroming.com/area/chrome-plating/Darlington

About 15 years ago I took a carburettor body into my local platers and asked if they could do anything. It was not at all a problem and they treated it as if it was routine. Very cheap and it came back like new. You do have to completely strip it though - ask their opinion if there are bits that can't be removed like plugs that are peened over. I would recomend them but they have gone now.

David

My local Zinc platers who used to do all my plating work before I moved away from the West Midlands have now moved on to Hard Chrome only, however his personel recommendation was 'ACF Howel' in Walsall, so I will try them, they said Chromating the body and Zinc Passifying the linkages was no problem.

Following on from Alistair's post, if you have never had plating done before and want mild steel things zinc plated, the basic finish is known as 'zinc and clear'. This refers to the chemical dip that makes the new zinc surface non reactive to the atmosphere. Without it the zinc would go white and fluffy within days. Clear passivation leaves a nice silver shiny finish but it is not very long lasting. Usually you will have the option at negligable extra cost of 'zinc and yellow' which can be anything from pale yellowish to a sort of dark gold colour and though less pretty is much better protection. It is common on fastenings on car engines for example. I have found small plating businesses remarkably happy to do tiny private jobs as long as you don't want them to do any preparation and have thought about how larger parts will be hung up for dipping as obviously a hole is needed or you get a blemish somewhere. Paying cash helps too...

David