So what do we all do for a living then

Rover8FFR

I totally agree and thought it would be good for everyone to bond better. After all we are normal people with the usual backgrounds. We all have so much to give and share.

We are a community after all.

Please keep answering to my thread. Every reply is 100% interesting.

Wayne, you certainly have lots of people following this thread. :D

Good on you.:-)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aircraft engineer at Thomson airways for 14 years after doing my apprenticeship there while it was Britannia and been volunteering at the shuttleworth collection on the vintage aircraft, tractors and cars for the last 17 years, just realised I've been volunteering for over half my life!

Great idea for a thread very interesting

Steve

I spent 15 years in heavy vehicle/plant recovery then moved to the Midlands from Essex and went into general Haulage. Then around 10 years in heavy haulage mostly moving railway locomotives. My main claim to fame is that I moved the Japanese Bullit train that is at the National Railway Museum in York from Southampton. Currently I'm not working due to ill health.

Steve

If that was you then I followed you !!! Up the M40 I think it was at about 2am. Police would not let anybody past so had to do the whole journey at 20mph or so - you got some cursing that night!!

Cheers

Timbo

Was in Army for 12 years came out trained as a plastere, found this boring retrained as a outdoor pursuits instructor now i,m a Bushcraft Instructor earning now where near the same money as Ray Mears!

Paul

Very jealous. Ray Mears is great, much better than Bear Grylls who always seems to do things the hard way. Where Bear is chewing raw insects, Ray whittles himself a 10 piece dinner service and dining room table before settling down to a nice stew!!

Cheers

Timbo

Oy I heard that Mike............. LMAO

Then we both spend our time swearing about the structural engineer who insists the column needs to be in your doorway and its foundation blocking all my drainage routes.:-D

It is one of those life things, it just is bit like Land Rovers and Jeeps:-D

Mike

I started off in a sheet metal shop and then trained to be a plumber/heating engineer,Realised i wasn`t getting any younger so i now work as an inspector for the local water company sorting out water and sewer connections for new buildings.

Simon

Did two years as a garage mechanic. Move to a business selling bearings & industrial transmission products,we also did automotive parts including engine rebuilds. Now we just sell bearings & industrial transmission products been doing the same job for 44 years :eek:

I started working as an IT trainer on a YTS training scheme, I then went onto working for WH Smith news Warehouse work then into retail for 8 years until made redundant and since 2010 I have working for a removal company/department store (Martells) based in West Sussex, mostly removals now doing warehouse and yard work also the occasional removal as an extra driver (7.5ton driver) or porter. It saves going to the gym as I've list a bit of weight since doing this job

Sent from my MT15i

Edited by Mark Collins

I worked as an advertising and publishing illustrator for about 15 years, often in the military and historical field. Now work in music production and management. My partner Sophie has her fourth album released in late Feb this year. We co-wrote all the songs and arrangements together.

Have a listen here www.sophiegarner.com The day-job/function band is here www.the-new-breed.co.uk

Pleased to say she likes MVs especially the Daimler......

Cheers

Paul

Brilliant Thread! Just spent FAR too long reading all the replies when I should definitely be asleep but everyone's so darn INTERESTING!!

I write on here on behalf of 6 ladies that met some of you at the Sheringham 40s weekend but two of us work in the Steam loco sheds at the North Norfolk Railway [where the 40s weekend is held] because we LOVE big engineering :D Other than that, myself Im a flameworker and have my own glass melting studio just outside cromer, Kate works in the sheds with me [we only do every now and again though! not as much time to spare as we would like!] and also helps out on a local crab boat driving the beach tractors and ALSO works for the Norwich Festival, Lynne is a Deli Girl, Rachel works for the Mental Health Department, Smith is an estate agent [boooo! ;) ] well, a 'Lettings Manager' and Chevvy is Head of Art at a high school :)

A mixed bunch brought together with our love of vintage and vehicles! Like a mini version of you lot!

Great to meet you all! xxx

I have worked for BT for 25 years since university in research, IT and network design - my interest in MVs comes from having grown up on a farm in the Scottish Highlands in the 1960s and early 70s around a lot of retired MVs in second lives as agricultural and estate vehicles.

hi i have been in the timber, logging {hard wood down here} in aussie ,most of my life plant operator had other jobs ... done a trade in mechical engineering ,welder on fishing boats,had my own bisness earth moving had couple trucks and dozer and restoring ww2 trucks in my spare time :cool2::cool2:

I have now been retired for the last eleven years (76)............ the trouble with doing nothing.......... you never know when you have finished!!!............ whats this about being senile, now, what was I doing before I turned this T.V. on ???

Im not sure what I want to do when I grow up yet, but so far:-

Have been a soldier. Public authority worker, dealing with the stroppy public is over rated.

Ships agent, likely the most interesting job I did, dealt with Morflot Soviet Union merchant marine as one of our customers. Loved dealing with the Soviets during the cold war. Had lots of dealings with special branch and other sneaky beaky types who always thought they were invisible to the Soviets. Best incident was having an HM Customs and Excise black gang Rupert wanting to enter the radio room on the aft deck and being shown a pistol through the porthole of the door!

Became a freight forwarder for a major French road freight company in a UK port dealing with high value, oversize, and dangerous cargoes. Had British Nuclear Fuels Limited and Electricite De France as customers am. Had a ball in that job too. As the EU got closer to one unified world my job was evaporating and was offered a job in Valence, France by the same outfit.

Opted for a vacation in Canada for a few months before taking the position but never made it to France as I met a woman and eventually got hitched and stayed out here.

Have run a wharehouse for a large retailer, became a certified welder in many areas of the welding trade including some defence work.

Now manage a large estate and family retreat and run the farm doing cash cropping. We also do all our own construction on the estate, from renovations to new construction. Have an excellent crew of guys who are my co workers even though i'm the one at the top of the food chain and taking the blame.

We also operate and try to maintain a fleet of mainly British MVs for the owners, and sometimes take them off site to events.

Always looking over the hedge but right now at this stage of life I think this is the last job.

Sorry to be so long winded.

R

HI am currantly serving my 22nd year in the british army. royal armoured corps 9/12lancers i was granted a 5 year extension 6 years ago and if not redundant will serve untill 2018. Have worked on cvrt cr1 and chally 2 when based in lulworth 95 to 98 helped out at bovy tank museum most weekends. Evan gunned there sherman at a tankfest am a small arms insructer including hmg (m2 hb) and gmg when my endowment policy matures in 3 years im buying a hotchkiss 201. Wife not to upset but only cos i cant afford tanks.MARK

Without wanting to be nosey, this is a subject that has always interested me too. Up until recently I worked engineering works on mostly dockside cranes. Erection, dismantling, crane design, consulting on the use of all sorts of mobiles. Now do basically the same thing for cranes on oil rigs. Have also done precision engineering apprenticeship, programming and setting CNC machine tools, BEng in mechanical engineering, and worked engineering the movement and lifting of abnormal loads, was asked to project manage the biggest land crane in the world but the money was rubbish.

Started life in the RE as a Plant Mech till options for change in 1994. Couldn't get on with the civilian plant world so moved over into bus and coach repair, ran my own workshop for a while, but it got too stressful and I packed it in a couple of years ago. I'm still mending buses, but now I am one of the famous "Bus Doctors" over in Sevenoaks. We are the big noise in contract bus mending round these parts, working for some of the big London garages as well as the local operators. I'm getting too old for it really, but I just love mending things

Started life in the RE as a Plant Mech till options for change in 1994. Couldn't get on with the civilian plant world so moved over into bus and coach repair, ran my own workshop for a while, but it got too stressful and I packed it in a couple of years ago. I'm still mending buses, but now I am one of the famous "Bus Doctors" over in Sevenoaks. We are the big noise in contract bus mending round these parts, working for some of the big London garages as well as the local operators. I'm getting too old for it really, but I just love mending things

I bust 'em . You fix 'em! :D

So by my reckoning we have the following here (with apologies as Ive used a bit of licence on some of the categories):

Engineering/ mechanics 21

Driving/ logistics 8

Architects 1

Park/ estate management 3

IT 4

Nursery super 1

Construction/ maintenance 8

Designer 2

Project management 1

Nursing 1

Printing 1

Banking/ insurance / office work/ finance 4

Music biz 3

Outdoor instruction 1

Shot blasting 1

Probation 1

Glasswork 1

Logging 1

Retired 1

Serving soldier 1

There were 11 of the above list who admitted to being ex members of the armed forces in some shape or form...

Cheers

Timbo