Landrover 109" Series 3 FFR

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fan Belt is round the wrong way - teeth are on the outside

It is indeed the wrong way around - well spotted sir!! And, I suspect, the wrong one for the vehicle too for the reasons Richard points out.

Right now I'm stuck as not only do I have a flat battery(s) but I also have an empty fuel tank :oops:

Ran out whilst we were repositioning onto the drive this morning so poor old Stuart had to push and pull with his to get her onto the drive ready for jacking up and welding

It is indeed the wrong way around - well spotted sir!! And, I suspect, the wrong one for the vehicle too for the reasons Richard points out.

Right now I'm stuck as not only do I have a flat battery(s) but I also have an empty fuel tank :oops:

Ran out whilst we were repositioning onto the drive this morning so poor old Stuart had to push and pull with his to get her onto the drive ready for jacking up and welding

So whats left to do before taking it for the MOT, can't be much left now.

So whats left to do before taking it for the MOT, can't be much left now.

No, there's not really - right now all I know of are:

• Fit Seat Belts (ordered from Craddocks, AM, today - should be here tomorrow

• Sort out the dim lights on driver side

• Sort out the heavy/stiff steering (told the relay might be seized?)

• Sort out the washer jets

And thats it - I hope, pray and think!!! :-)

If the steering is heavy, try adding some more oil before you replace the relay, mine must leak some yet its not noticable but about every 12months it needs topping up as the steering gets tight.

You need to remove two of the top cover bolts, one to vent and one to slowly fill with ep90, i have never been able to get at more than one of mine so it can take a while, topping up the hole and letting it slowly run down. Keep going till it wont fill anymore.

Jon.

The suggestion from the OLLR forum was to remove two bolts as suggested then pour in heated oil.

I can imagine the wifes face when she gets in tonight to find a pan of EP-90 simmering on her cooker - but if that does the job......

When these were overhaulled in Workshops, they had the wheeze of putting them in a bucket of oil for several days, because the filling was so slow. When the air bubbles ceased then they were full!

They can be no joke to remove from the chassis if rust has built up around them.

Richard

Yeah - right know I'm praying like hell warmed oil will do the trick.

If it doesn't - then guess who's not gonna be on the Salibury Plain trip :cry:

Landrover - Heavy Steering - I thought that was standard. Dont worry Neil we are taking a couple of A Frames so if anything goes wrong we will just tow it back.

Sorry Neil but NOT GOING is not an option.

You reckon it would pass the MOT like that then Ian?????

Having not driven it its hard to comment really but all they do is jack the front up and turn the steering by the wheels when checking for knocking and bearings etc so if you can turn it when its jacked up it shouldn't be a problem. Ask Stuart what he thinks as I am sure he would know due to the training he has had lately.

Having not driven it its hard to comment really but all they do is jack the front up and turn the steering by the wheels when checking for knocking and bearings etc so if you can turn it when its jacked up it shouldn't be a problem. Ask Stuart what he thinks as I am sure he would know due to the training he has had lately.

It was Stuart who said the steering was stiff whilst doing the welding sir!!

With the road wheel off on one side it's not possible to turn the steering by grabbing the hub and twisting - thats how bad it is!

Neil,

It could also be that the swivels are tight. If it has not been driven for some time the top swivels in the housings could be dry. They are fibre material bushings and could perhaps do with some lubrication. Eay enough to draw out and check.

Richard

Thanks Richard -will check that whilst having a look at the relay too.

Seat belts arrived yesterday - opened them up when I got home tonight & there's plenty of funny shaped brackets, lots of bolts and rivets - but NO fitting instructions!!!! :schocked: :schocked:

So - right now - I've no idea where on earth any of these go!!! :schocked: :schocked:

It was Stuart who said the steering was stiff whilst doing the welding sir!!

With the road wheel off on one side it's not possible to turn the steering by grabbing the hub and twisting - thats how bad it is!

What about when both wheels are of the ground can you turn it then, with both wheels on the vehicle.

And just to rub it in my landie 101 passed its MOT today :banana: :banana:

Seat belts arrived yesterday - opened them up when I got home tonight & there's plenty of funny shaped brackets, lots of bolts and rivets - but NO fitting instructions!!!! :schocked: :schocked:

So - right now - I've no idea where on earth any of these go!!! :schocked: :schocked:

Neil,

if you are down the Fort Sunday or Monday take a look at the belts in mine..

What about when both wheels are of the ground can you turn it then, with both wheels on the vehicle.

And just to rub it in my landie 101 passed its MOT today :banana: :banana:

Whole front end was off the ground Ian - had axle stands under the spring plates each side - so Stuart could get under and work his magic on the X-member!! Stuart tried moving the wheels himself from underneath and couldn't, it had to be done via the steering wheel - thats how stiff it is.

Neil,

if you are down the Fort Sunday or Monday take a look at the belts in mine..

Thanks Lee!!! Was hoping to fit them tomorrow but none of the brackets look like expected - e.g. the bottom mount of the reel side I thought was a triangular peice with sides that bolted into place at the rear of the seat box/door frame - but not in this kit!!!!

I have two plates each about 6" square, small hole in each corner, nut welded on and snaller hole below on one center line and just up from centre on the other, 2 square plates the same size, all holes in the same place but with a larger hole, not the welded nut, and 2 cranked brackets - these are the ones:

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/Seat_Belt_Brackets.jpg[/img]

Any one recognize these and their location on the vehicle??? Going to ring Craddocks tomorrow and ask about the absent fitting destructions.... :evil:

Was hoping to fit them tomorrow but none of the brackets look like expected - e.g. the bottom mount of the reel side I thought was a triangular peice with sides that bolted into place at the rear of the seat box/door frame - but not in this kit!!!!

Any one recognize these and their location on the vehicle??? Going to ring Craddocks tomorrow and ask about the absent fitting destructions.... :evil:

Neil,

That kit you have looks nothing like any of the seat belt kits that I ever fitted to Series 3 Rovers.

Richard

I was devoutly hoping no one was going to say that Richard :-( :-(

Ordered the part on the P/No given earlier in this thread & Craddocks confirmed it was for a Series 3 - the invoice description reads:

" RTC1939 - Inertia Seat Belt Kit - Complete with all Fittings and Brackets to convert Static to Inertia"

If it is the wrong one - for whatever reason - then there's no way I'll be able to get a replacement sent in time to get the MOT done so will be unable to make the Plains trip.

I was devoutly hoping no one was going to say that Richard :-( :-(

Ordered the part on the P/No given earlier in this thread & Craddocks confirmed it was for a Series 3 - the invoice description reads:

" RTC1939 - Inertia Seat Belt Kit - Complete with all Fittings and Brackets to convert Static to Inertia"

Ah, I see now. All the military Series 3 used static belts, thats why it was unfamiliar.

Richard

All the military Series 3 used static belts,

Later S3's had inertia belts as standard.

Got some low quality pic's that i took showing the roll bar i have in Bungle, but it does show some of the plates in the kit.

width=640 height=480http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00193.jpg[/img]

width=480 height=640http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00192.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00196.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00194.jpg[/img]

The reel unit is mounted on the spreader plates which sandwich the bulkhead.

I will get some pics when i get home, Not used the landrover to come to work today.

Jon

Just had a scrapper land in the yard and the sun was shining so i need no more excuse to have 5 mins in the sun and snapped a couple of better pic's.

width=600 height=800http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/PB010092.jpg[/img]

Rear spreaderplate and top belt feed.

width=600 height=800http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/PB010093.jpg[/img]

Reel mounted on the rear bulkhead behind the seats.

width=600 height=800http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/PB010095.jpg[/img]

Bottom belt mount in the corner of the seatbox, door pillar.

Jon.