Landrover 109" Series 3 FFR

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

OK - we now have working indicators - but no repeater light on the dash - not sure but I suspect very little is working on the dash right now - wipers have been discussed elsewhere, neither rocker switch seems to do anything and I'm fairly certain the Oil temp gauge is the only one reading.

Anyways - one of the batteries is apparently one the way out but I had it on trickle charge for 18+ hours over the weekend and she spun over and started OK tonight. Ran rough till warmed up as there is no choke right now - cable was hanging out the dash and woouldn't go back in. So I pulled the cable out and found the end was frayed out beyond repair - new choke cable now on the shopping list :-)

Whilst playing with the choke cable and trying not to get brained by the bonnet (no bonnet stay yet I noticed something appears to be missing in the region of the generator and front of the engine?? Soon as I can get a photo off the camera I'll post it

But we are getting there - slowly!!

Missing parts - between generator and engine:

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/31_July_06_007.jpg[/img]

Knew about them Richard :-) Goes with the missing front bumper, infill panel and headlamp surrounds - but at least those are in the garage awaiting refit.. :-)

Looks like some sort of adjuster or support is missing from the generator?? Seems strange to have a threaded rod about 8" long x 1/2" dia just hanging there...

As regards the stay - it's got to be better than having the bonnet propped against the windscreen just waiting for a gust of wind... :-) :-) :-)

Ordered a replacement choke cable from Craddocks tonight - they were cheapest at £10 - simple enough to refit when it arrives.

Big jobbie is gouing to be stripping the fascia down as the wiper switch has broken out of the fascia panel and taken the surround with it. Got a spare one in that garage that came with the vehicle so I'll be spending the weekend - if it's dry - dismantling the one in the Landie and transferring everything over whilst trying to sort out why diverse bits aren't working!!! :-)

Once that is done I can get the front X-Member welded up and the missing bits bolted back on. Then it's crunch time at the MOT station : :shake: :shake:

Neil, its hard to see in the picture but is it the rod thats attached to the side of the alternator thats hanging loose? If so its the tensioning rod/stay and the other end should attach to a bracket on the engine. I have a picture at work on Microfiche but will see if i can find a paper copy. If i can P/M me a fax number and i will send you copy.

And then it will be ready for the Salisbury trip Neil. :tup: :tup: Thumbs up

Thats the idea Ian :-) :-) :-)

Neil, its hard to see in the picture but is it the rod thats attached to the side of the alternator thats hanging loose? If so its the tensioning rod/stay and the other end should attach to a bracket on the engine. I have a picture at work on Microfiche but will see if i can find a paper copy. If i can P/M me a fax number and i will send you copy.

Looking at the picture - you're right!! It's the bits at top left of the diagram - so rather than something being missing, that threaded rod actually fits into the threaded section on the engine bracket - yes??

I'll try mating the two parts together tonight and see what happens!!

Thanks very much for the diagram kind sir!!! :-) :-) :-)

Well, works kept me from having another look at the engine/generator business but was feeling iffy tonight so had to stay in. Rather than waste the time I got the spare I/P out of the garage and stripped it down. Thought it would be a quickie job - 3 hours later I've more or less finished :schocked: - all thats left are the aux power sockets at bottom left. I'll have those off tomorrow night - I hope.....

width=640 height=297http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/strippedfascia.jpg[/img]

Than come the weekend I "just" need to repeat the performance on the existing Ip and swap them over. :-) :-)

Spent today stripping out the old I/P and fitting the replacement. Again took about 4 hours start to finish but looks a lot better.

Are the oil and water temp guages capilliary or electric?? Had to unscrew the guages from the instrument to get it out as I couldn't work out how to disconnect them :oops:

The lights for the indicator repeaters had an amber lens one side and a blue one the other - so for now I've taken the green arrowheads from the civvy I/P and used those -once it's MOT'd then I'll go digging for a set of whatever colour the Mil Spec ones should be!!

Wiper switch was a PITA - couldn't get the knob to release from the shaft so ended up using the one from the Civvy I/P - this had 4 terminals as opposed to the original ones three - I'm guessing the civvy had two speed wipers whereas the Mil spec ones were single - still no working wipers though so I need to find the wiper motor and check out John's (FV601) suggestion about the wiper motor contact set. Also - switches for panel lights and fan seem to be non-op too.

Anyways - got it all back in now all I need to finish the job are the two big screws that hold the IP in and the three little ones that hold the 6-way switch in place.

Only real bummer was when I emptied the back out I found a pair of new wiper blade assemblies - went to fit them today and now I can't find them anywhere.....

Your right about the wiper switch. In case you haven't worked it out, you need to push in the little metal piece you should see through the hole in the wash button. They are sprung, but seem to rust up. I've not long done one, I used a bit of WD40 overnight, then used a punch to knock the sprung bit loose. (but don't do as I do, and slip and break the thing-lucky it was only my spare). :tongue:

Well - one more step forwards - we have working wipers!! Had a nose on the EMLRA forum now Clive's told me how to get at the members bit as a member and they've sorted it for me. Found the S3 workshop manual and located the section on 24v wipers. Now I knew where to look it took 5 minutes to strip off the covers and find the plug for the electrical connections - which wasn't plugged in!!! :-)

Pushed the plug home firmly, started her up and instant wipers !! Only thing I now need to do on that side is juggle about with the connectors on back of the wiper switch as the civvy one had 4 terminals - and I've used the wrong one - have to turn the civvy switch to the fast wipe setting (second click).

I did remember the sprung ping Dougie - but the one on the Landie had been painted in matt black quite thickly and despite being left to soak overnight and being tapped quite forcefully with a punch it wouldn't have it - thats why I used the civvy switch. Looks more or less the same so... :-)

This leads one to the related issue of washers - filled the bottle up, pressed the switch - buzz of pump motor - beads of water appeared at the nozzles - but that was it. Got the wife to press the switch whilst I checked the hose - seem to have water flowing up as far as where the hoses enter the bulk head so I'm guessing I've got a blockage some where. Will have to get the compressor out next weekend and blow the lines through backwards.

Another plus for today - trying to scrape the overspray off the windscreen I happened to glance in - and saw the missing three screws for the 6-way switch wedged in between the dash and the windscreen so had those hooked out and fitted in in a trice!

We progress - slowly but surely - we progress!!!!!! :-) :-)

Had to take the day off today so as to be sure of some one being here when a courier from Craddocks delivered a new choke cable (second one) so did a bit more work on the Landie. Well - it was a nice sunny day too so no point just sitting indoors.. :-)

Anyways - as of tonight - we now have the front bumper mounted and bolted into place, the new choke cable fitted - sort of*, generator tensioning rod removed and refitted correctly, new wiper arm assemblies in place and a lot of the over-spray on the windscreen removed.

(* - Had two different types, both for Series 3 delivered thus far, both checked against the chassis number - one had the right fitment but both are at least two inches short as regards the outer cable!). Whilst nosing under the bonnet I also found the fan ass'y for the heater is missing. Still got the washers to sort out

Bumper refitted:

width=600 height=800http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/100_0054.jpg[/img]

Now I need to work out how the number plate was mounted and the recovery eyes - pitch of the mounting holes on the the brackets is less than the holes in the bumpers!!!

Interior refitted #1

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/100_0055.jpg[/img]

Interior refitted #2

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/100_0058.jpg[/img]

I also crawled under the back to see if the bracket was there for the convoy light - not only was the bracket not there but the whole back loom has been cut about - I have the two leads for the convoy light there but the rest.. :cry: There are a mass of terminal blocks either side for the lighting wiring and the 12 pin socket cabling has gone altogether....

Also - as things were quiet (very rare around here) I took the opportunity for a quick test drive down the road which revealed three things:

1) Something is rattling down by the bell housing area a s best I can tell - doesn't vary with road or engine speed, not is it affected by clutch operation so I guess something must be loose.

2) One of the wheels - I think the N/S rear - is locking up when braking.

3) Somehow I don't think the wife is going to be able to drive her, think the Landie is going to be too heavy in the steering dept

So a few more bits done - a few more bits found to need doing... :-) :-)