3HW exhaust lifter

agmerlin

Hello Folks, what sort of lever would have operated the exhaust valve lifter from the handlebars? Mine has the mechanism in the cylinder head but not the cable or handle. Most of the bikes I,ve seen have a separate handle but the drawing in the hand book makes it look like the handle was integral with the clutch lever.

Andy

Hello Andy, I don't think that it is a combined part with the clutch lever. Never so such a set up on a Triumph.

Normally the valve lifter lever is one part.

Guy

Normal "trigger" type valve-lifter lever.............cable has a spring at the engine end to allow the lifter-arm to return....

Normal "trigger" type valve-lifter lever.............cable has a spring at the engine end to allow the lifter-arm to return....

Sorry for being a bit thick!! Trigger type lever? Any photos please. As I said the drawing in my book looks as though whatever lever is fitted is built into the same assembly as the clutch lever but obviously with its own cable etc.

Here's mine. Most of the WD Triumphs had 1" bars, apart from about the last three contracts of 3HW's were economy measures dictated 7/8" bars and no steering damper. Mine is one of these late bikes from 1944. I think I have a nice spare valve lift lever to part with....but only in 7/8" I think. Ron

3HW 126.jpg

3HW 127.jpg

Sorry for being a bit thick!! Trigger type lever? Any photos please. As I said the drawing in my book looks as though whatever lever is fitted is built into the same assembly as the clutch lever but obviously with its own cable etc.

No worries....as per Ron's photos....called a "trigger" type as the lever profile resembles the trigger on a firearm......:D