1st Pattern British Army Windproof Smock (WW2)

wdbikemad

010.jpg Recently unearthed this.......1941 pattern British Army green denim smock..........the first of the "classic" design...........made between 1941 and 42, part of a suit with matching trousers (bloody rare).......

Heavy item, in drab denim as used for denim BD, pullover style, no wrist tightening tabs..........this example is almost new and large size......sadly though, the label has crumbled (WD marked though)........some of these are labelled "Blouses", "Smock Snow" or "Smock Drab" and were intended for wear by mountain troops in cold but snow-less conditions...........the sand-coloured type superceeded this during '42, followed by the white version and then the cammo type in '43........

I MIGHT part with this in due course....but it is rather rare......

I wouldn't say they are common Steve but they do come up from time to time and will often fetch in excess of £100...

I had a mint 'Smock Drab' size 2 iirc sold about two years ago for c.£150. WWII stuff is just not my thing so I sold it on shortly after acquiring it.

I do have a friend who is looking for the orginal first pattern camo windproof smock if anyone has one they wish to sell/trade?

I wouldn't say they are common Steve but they do come up from time to time and will often fetch in excess of £100...

I had a mint 'Smock Drab' size 2 iirc sold about two years ago for c.£150. WWII stuff is just not my thing so I sold it on shortly after acquiring it.

I do have a friend who is looking for the orginal first pattern camo windproof smock if anyone has one they wish to sell/trade?

I'm the same Jason, this type of WW2 stuff isn't my thing, my main interest being post-war.......though I think I got this item a fair few years ago now along with others and Denisons, etc for the book to chart the early development of combat dress, many post-war items being based upon the wartime gear.......at the time I wasn't clear about the actual point from where I was going to start writing from, WW2 or post-war...

I have a couple of cammo windproofs, but none for sale at present........

Edited by wdbikemad

• 2 months later...

hi there i m wondering if you are interested in selling this cheers matt

hi there i m wondering if you are interested in selling this cheers matt

It's gone, sorry Matt !!! However, I do have another in storage, plus a very rare cammo version of the same (not the later cammo gabardine type either - this one is cammo denim......dated 1943, Size 5.....never seen another one in 30 years....)....I just might part with one......

Also I m looking for a admiralty wax jkt British WWII submariner jkt

If you know any one selling this cheers matt

Hi Matt, the cammo one is in DENIM (not windproof fabric) and exactly the same as the green denim version......cammo is the early ("Denison style") hand-applied type in green and brown, BUT, a study of the smock shows that this has been applied to the fabric at the factory and NOT the smock after manufacture.......it is dated 1943 so at the very end of the Denim smock production when the cammo windproof style took over.....it's a real rarity and I haven't seen another before or since, and I guess matching trousers would have been made to go with it......?

Not sure if I will sell, and if I do it may be Ebay....my last green denim example alone went for over £160.........I'm using both as source examples for my forthcoming post-war combat clothing book to show where the post-war styles originated from........but a good offer may be considered.......photos (obviously) can be supplied.......:-D