1940 Norton 16h

thedawnpatrol

Hi Guys

Thought is was about time i registered my 16h.

when i got it, it still had the old logbook, but it was last registered in Northern Ireland, 1960's.

not been on the road much since then, certainly not in the last 30 years, so do you think the DVLA will update that original document and i keep the old registration number?

or, if not, and i have to start from scratch, will it need to have an MOT first ? I know MOT's are now scrapped for old vehicles, but i was told that because it would be a 'first' registration, it would need one, then no more after ?

Thanks

Jules

Try on the old logbook first,if the details on the bike and logbook are correct I see no reason why they shouild refuse. I have done it twice at the local licencing office and a new v5 issued , but they had to be MOTed then and this was done as normal.

The current exemption from MoT test is for vehicles either first registered or manufactured before 1960.......I went to tax the (modern) car recently and the paper reminder notes this on it.......

The only problem I can envisage is for pre-1960 vehicles that were registered after then (eg - ex-WD stuff registered in the late-1960s)......BUT, if your V5 states "declared manufactured (say) 1942" then you are covered by the exemption, 'though I would suggest that if this is the case then take along the V5 to the Post Office when taxing the vehicle to prove this point........

My own bikes were all registered in the 80s and 90s, although the V5 states that they were manufactured during the war years, so effectively covered by the exemption........the risk with some post-60 ex-WD vehicles is that the V5 may also give the date of manufacture (incorrectly) the same as the registration date, thus creating a potential problem.....

The DVLA may be able to sort this out, but I can see a scenario where the owner may have to prove earlier manufacture, possibly involving an approved owners club or DVLA inspection.......

I'm not certain about an initial MoT being required for newly-rebuilt ex-WD pre-60 stuff, as this was a requirement to obtain an age-related or original registration number.....this may still be the case, although once registered and age proven, a subsequent annual MoT may not be necessary......?

Edited by wdbikemad

Steve as far as I know. DVLA will not accept a dating letter from a club to re-date a year of manufacture to a vehicle that is already registered. A copy must come from the original factory ledgers????

Ron

Steve as far as I know. DVLA will not accept a dating letter from a club to re-date a year of manufacture to a vehicle that is already registered. A copy must come from the original factory ledgers????

Ron

Ah yes.....although I should have added that many club dating officials use the factory ledgers to support their verifications (that many clubs hold or have access to)....! I used similar for my Ariel.......

With a 50s date however, even a green log book, I can't see too many issues here as it's pre-60 by registration (NI reg's are classed as UK).....just needs a new-style V5........

I do hope you don't have to have it inspected by DVLA. My RE outfit had to be inspected when I fitted the chair to it - I wasn't allowed to drive it to the inspection depot ( 12 miles away) so I loaded it on my bike trailer and showed it to a young chap with a clip board. I am sure he had never seen a combination before and he seemed surprised that the chair was securely bolted to the bike after I had showed him the four mounting points. It was approved.

I do hope you don't have to have it inspected by DVLA. My RE outfit had to be inspected when I fitted the chair to it - I wasn't allowed to drive it to the inspection depot ( 12 miles away) so I loaded it on my bike trailer and showed it to a young chap with a clip board. I am sure he had never seen a combination before and he seemed surprised that the chair was securely bolted to the bike after I had showed him the four mounting points. It was approved.

The system can be a joke sometimes.........in the early 90s, I had a Matchless G3 inspected by two females (one a trainee and the other standing-in for the regular examiner who was on holiday)........neither of them had heard of Matchless, and didn't appear to have seen anything on 2-wheels before that wasn't either encased in plastic painted in bright colours or fitted with a pizza-delivery box on the rear......:shocked:

Needless to say, they walked away bewildered.......and bemused........:cool2:.....I got my approval......

Clip-boards are wonderful things.......I wonder if DVLA individuals are issued with one on joining....????

Edited by wdbikemad