Scrooge humubugthing

cosrec

Having been on this forum for a little while i have noticed there is a distinct trend for people to look for loopholes to avoid moting vehicles. I have no problem with this whats so ever. My theory is that the bulk of the people on here are like a cross section of the general public law abiding. But it does get my back up when people suggest spurious ways to do this or avoid other rules and regs

Couldn't agree with you more, I have had several arguments on here about this sort of thing. In some cases I think people are taking actions which are liable to void their insurance or breaking the law by the use of the red cross.

Cosrec,

After reading your post three times I finally figured out what you are saying "MOT" testing your vehicles!

I 100% agree with you even though I am on a different continent.

We have in the collection two Bedford MJs and an M818 all of which are heavy enough to warrant a commercial vehicle yearly inspection which we do religiously, let alone the civvy rigs we drive.

There are others nearby who have similar sized vehicles and their trucks are not in a safe and fit state for the road. I have often been vocal and very public about this and have not made any friends by pointing this out.

In my humble view operating unsafe kit on the road is not on, period. I have seen 5 ton trucks registered as pick ups or cars. I have seen VIN plate swaps, I have seen an M37 with a slow moving vehicle sign as if it was farm equipment. I think I have nearly seen it all but i'm sure there are some yet to surface.

I and my co workers hold provincial drivers licences for tractor trailers (artics for you in the UK) and we do all the safety logs and the whole nine yards. We operate under drivers hours regs and are fully insured properly.

We spend a great deal of time and money being safe and street legal.

In the event of an unfortunate accident no matter how it was caused the collection owner will be in the clear as far as mechanical condition and operation and maintenance. Also, the owner is properly insured and no one will be left swinging in the wind when the insurance is declared null and void as will happen to others when the paperwork gets produced at the scene of an accident.

I have spent countless hours sorting out vehicle ownership paperwork screw ups and properly registering vehicles for what they are for ourselves and for many other collectors locally.

Register what you have properly and obey the law, for the sake of our loved ones who share the roads and for our hobby as a whole.

People, as COSREC says, do it right, for all of our sakes.

R

As stated in the Forum rules.. http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?517-Forum-RULES-amp-GUIDELINES

Legal Advice.

Please note that any legal advice given or implied anywhere on this forum is the poster's (Members & HMVF Staff) own interpretation of the law & not necessarily correct. Proper legal advice should always be taken if in any doubt.

Ok then is it in order for me to ask the the poster who prompted this post under the relavant section why his vehicle is special when the picture he shows is clearly that of a normal bog standard truck. It is blatently obvious he has done it to aviod MOTing his vehicle. This is not a problem to me but i do take great concern that he he is advising someone who is asking for advice to do the same. Even to the piont of keeping clear of motorway service stations as thats where VOSA hang out. Whats wrong with Moting a vehicle if road worthy why not.?

to reiterate every one here is free to do what whatever they want but it is wrong to encourage others to do the same

and of course by the same token if vosa say a mv is exempt there is no point in putting a mot on it ( from the point of a fsc)

so the guy who asked for advise on buying a truck to go to rallies etc. Would your advise be tax it speceal types recovery showmans plant what ever just to avoid MOT

from my point of view dont know enough about that category of exemption ,from a daimler ferret point of view, no there is know need of a mot as vosa class it as a motor tractor .

No fair enough but what i am getting at is a guy posted on here asking for advise on ownership of a bog standard road vehicle and was advised on all the ways he could dodge MOTing it by simply calling it something else. The vehicle in question was a milatry vehicle but the exact same vehicle is used by power supply companies and councils and can be MOTed at council depots

Its a public forum where everyone can see what you write, so if you don't want to drop yourself into the beep don't write it, pm them with you're opinion. If they then choose to take that advice without checking with the local or national body that checks whether the vehicle is roadworthy, registered and taxed correctly they only have themselves to blame.

Use you're noggin you're words could come back to haunt you in court. The last statistic that heard of for a death on the road was over a million pounds. I heard this at one of the schemes that Greater Manchester Police runs for passing through a red light. As far as I know only Liverpool and GMP runs the scheme in the North West.