Bedford mj 4x4 vs leyland daf 4x4

AirArmed

Tacho,, if its over 3.5t and not 25years old you need one. READ ON if you gross over 3500kg you need a tacho. Even private use now... never used to be. but now you do. There are a few exemptions but not many now even recovery is only 50 mile from base.

Hope this helps

According to the link I posted earlier from the "government website" you only need a tacho on a vehicle under 7.5t if used commercially.

However that link may be out of date, and the rules changed in the last 6 months, as I didn't need one for my RB44

DAF won't do 65mph unless you run it above the red line + the tyres are not rated for anything like that speed. I can't belive that it does 17mpg @ 65mpg. I find that the best speed to drive mine is between 45 and 50 anything more and it gobbles up the diesel, above 50 it is hard going.

On the cab sticker on the heater directly in the drivers line of sight is a notice 30mph on roads and 40mph on motorways.

Reading back on this would it be easiest to get it registered first providing army release form, then take it to an MOT station put it thru and see what they fail it on then make the necessary changes and take it back again?

Not as easy as that, a pre-used un-registered vehicle has to have a test before it can be registered. There are exceptions, but not with the MJ and DAF that you are enquiring about.

Ask Vosa and preferably find out which department you want to speak too (Heavy Goods Vehicle section) and put you're request in writing too them on whether the Daf or the Bedford MJ needs to have a tacho fitted if its only going to be used as a Private Heavy Goods Vehicle (going to and from shows). Date of construction and into service will matter I suspect and that might be of issue if you have a Bedford badged as AWD.

If you do as above and contact Vosa in writing the official line will always be the same for everyone from the date of the letter supplied to you. A verbal response from them is uncorroborated means diddly squat as r American friends would say.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/

The daf i was thinking of having a bash at is registered as timber tractor,obviously the fella wants to sell so is keen to promote the red diesel and no mot agriculteral use its registered for,but can anyone with tractor test seriously jump in a hgv just because its registered as tractor,seems to good to be true!