B80 Engine Stand

Mettlen

I am sure others will be along with more info but- make sure weight capacity of stand is more than weight of engine, and also- check bolts for belhousing will go through the frame mounting points ;) i found this out on my Farmall tractor engine. but u could make converting mounts if it is a problem. hope this helps. :cool2:

The engine weighs in the region of half a ton (or 500kgs for younger readers!). The flywheel housing is alloy and size of studs are, I think 3/8". The best way to work on one is to have a rotating bed where the block is mounted at back and front an evenly spread of load. I have done them on a low bench and using a engine crane rolled them over to work on. I would not use a stand as shown for an engine of this size or weight.

I have been doing J60s on this make of stand for ages. To be fair I usually only mount the engine once the head has been removed. My total J60 re-build count is now over 30.

I also have used the same stand for my Saladin engine (B80) and I can confirm that it is possible but not ideal.

The engine is way too heavy for such a small stand and the length of the engine overhang makes moving the engine around very dodgy.

A much more sturdy stand would be better (but I already have 3 of these Clarke ones).

Jon