Need identification please

bobs1918

Hello gents

Can anyone tell me what the truck platform for this British ambulance is.

It has been possibly Id'd as a REO.

I have an opportunity to buy a 1917 REO 3/4ton which I would restore

as a British ambulance ONLY if they were so used during the Great War .Thanks

bob

possREO.jpg

Usually Reo trucks fom about 1912 on had curved tops to the front fenders. This appears to have flat topped fenders.

Most REO 3/4 ton trucks of the period had a very evident round gas tank mounted ahead of the steering column the full width of the firewall.

The gas headlamps would date it to pre 15 or so & they look of a style used in Britain more than an American design.

It could well be a large car that was converted to an ambulance. The rear fenders seem to have a rake to them that would look at home on an early touring car. Private cars were sometimes commandeered & in the case of Rolls Royce cars at least, if they survived they were reconditioned & had the original bodies refitted after the war. I am aware of a still existing 1914 Silver Ghost that is thought to have such a history.

Edited by Jack Innes

Never seen any reference to a REO being used as an ambulance. Actually never seen any reference to REO at all, but that doesn't mean they weren't used.

Ambulances were car based although 3-tonners, buses and charabancs were used when needed by frontline companies and the auxiliary companies had charabancs and buses on their establishment.

I think it extremely unlikely that 3-ton REOs were ever used as ambulances.

Never seen any reference to a REO being used as an ambulance. Actually never seen any reference to REO at all, but that doesn't mean they weren't used.

Ambulances were car based although 3-tonners, buses and charabancs were used when needed by frontline companies and the auxiliary companies had charabancs and buses on their establishment.

I think it extremely unlikely that 3-ton REOs were ever used as ambulances.

Thank you for this information

bob

Hello gents

Can anyone tell me what the truck platform for this British ambulance is.

It has been possibly Id'd as a REO.

I have an opportunity to buy a 1917 REO 3/4ton which I would restore

as a British ambulance ONLY if they were so used during the Great War .Thanks

bob

Hi bobs, I would suggest trying a WW1-specific site, such as the Great War Forum, as they have experts in pretty much everything WW1 related. No guarantees, but there's a very good chance someone will come up with the goods.

Good luck,

Steve.