Jump to content
HunterXL565

Pig Help!

Recommended Posts

All,

 

Can any ex-REME/People with experience of Pigs explain to me how to re-attach the end of the axles onto the vehicle? This is the splined version of the hub- Do they simply push on, or is it a case of finding the master spline! It seems to not want to go on either side, and is causing rather a head ache!

 

Kind Regards

 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom I assume you have Birfield joints if you have splines each end of the axle shafts. Are you talking about the inner or outer shaft?

 

Have you any pictures of where you have got to?

 

I have a sectional diagram of the Birfield arrangement if you want that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom the penny has just dropped as I have looked at your past posts. I see you have 11 BK 17.

 

Did you not simply(!) transplant the complete Mk 2 axle to replace the complete assembly or are you just transplanting the wheel stations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is correct! They are a splined fitting on the wheel stations- The old axle was an odd sort of coupling, however after swapping the axle we noticed the gaiters needed replacing, and changed the wheel stations in order to do this.

 

However the splines don't seem to marry up, and it hits a hard spot. If you have ANY diagrams of how this should properly be done, or any diagrams of the set-up, it would by much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume that it would have had the original Chobham joints which have captive articulating pads. The problem being that the pads can be lost due to failure of the retaining clips. This was a major issue in NI when at any one time up to 80 Pigs could have been out of service with wheel station problems. So did you find loose pads in there?

 

The problem with my rear axle was a collapse of the pinion wheel in the diff. I concluded that to transplant this would require a major dismantling & setting up again. So I transplanted the whole axle assembly. It was not as simple as that because the donor axle was missing a complete wheel station.

 

So I transferred this across before the transplant. Its 10+ years ago since I did it, I think the only problem was getting the female part of the bearing to remain in place whilst trying to introduce the splined shaft. If you were slightly off true the bearing would go further off alignment & not mate. So I assume this is what you are up against now.

 

Is the hub still on or have you removed that to make it a less weighty thing to align. Don't assemble the hub into its position without using an alignment sleeve otherwise the hub seals will get crushed.

 

The diagram below is from the Birfield fitting instructions. I have split it to get more detail. If its not readable PM me with you email & I'll send it to you.

 

Dsc03597a.jpg

 

Dsc03597b.jpg

 

Dscf2586a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old axle was indeed a clobham type join, however this type is a spline, male end coming out the axle and female end on the end of the wheel hub. It is completely different from the clobham type, and for some reason, it does not want to line up!

 

This may be a later design of axle, if you have any info on this type I can PM you my email address and If possible you could email them across? I will be tackling the problem this week, so like I say any help would me much appreciated!

 

I can add photos as the week goes on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This may be a later design of axle, if you have any info on this type I can PM you my email address and If possible you could email them across? I will be tackling the problem this week, so like I say any help would me much appreciated!

 

The diagram (Fig 1) I posted is for the later joint arrangement using Birfield joint that was introduced in 1974. The instructions state "Assemble the Birfield joints (item 1 to 10) as shown in Fig 1" Other than a list of components there are no more specific instructions.

 

But I'm not quite sure how much of the assembly has been removed. I assume you are talking about the shaft 3? Which end of it are you trying to mate?

 

There is a bit of coverage on Pig joints here:

 

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/PIGINAPOKE.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the Birfied joint on this particular axle- Today I have managed to get half of it on at the shaft 3 end, which leads me to believe that I need to split the unit where 'A' is shown on the diagram and join it when the wheel station is bolted onto the vehicle. This will mean splitting it halfway down the gaiter and then reassembling from here.

 

Thank you very much for your advice so far and the link!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...