1/24 Bedford TM 4x4 and 6x6 Scratchbuild

okdoky

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to look back through all my reference pics and posts on the various forums because these bench seats just don't seem to add up properly and I am missing where the dimensions are going wrong !!!!!!!!

I think I have taken some measurements from the seating that was in place and mixed it with measurements from the folded seating that was resting on the cargo bed sides !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I may have transposed some of my dimensions when committing to paper !!!!!!

I know also that someone passed me a file copy of the bench seating diagram but as I am on hols and with my laptop, I think that I may have it stored on the desk top which is going tits up anyhow !!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone remembers sending me the bench seating file please point it out to me again as I know I will fair better with that info at hand !!!!!!! As a consept, I am happy with what I have done, and know I can improve on it easily second time around !!!!!!!

DVC09904.jpg

DVC09906.jpg

DVC09910.jpg

DVC09908.jpg

I need to look back through all my reference pics and posts on the various forums because these bench seats just don't seem to add up properly and I am missing where the dimensions are going wrong !!!!!!!!

I think I have taken some measurements from the seating that was in place and mixed it with measurements from the folded seating that was resting on the cargo bed sides !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I may have transposed some of my dimensions when committing to paper !!!!!!

I know also that someone passed me a file copy of the bench seating diagram but as I am on hols and with my laptop, I think that I may have it stored on the desk top which is going tits up anyhow !!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone remembers sending me the bench seating file please point it out to me again as I know I will fair better with that info at hand !!!!!!! As a consept, I am happy with what I have done, and know I can improve on it easily second time around !!!!!!!

DVC09904.jpg

DVC09906.jpg

DVC09910.jpg

DVC09908.jpg

IMPROVE NEXT TIME ROUND....!!!! HOW CAN YOU IMPROVE ON PERFECTION????

This is a brilliant thread, just need to say the same as everyone else here, cant beleive the amount of time, patience and skill you have put into this project.

I have restored many vehicles and still wouldnt have the skills for this sort of thing. Showed a few pics to my missus and she commented that "This guy must have a huge table to put that wagon on....!!!":nut:

Please dont tease her, shes blonde!!(thats off my chest now!)

Seriously tho mate, Had a chinese the other night and was looking at the tin foil containers and thinking ..... HOW??

My hat and other pieces of clothing off to you my friend....Now we demand more pictured, your public awaits!;)

IMPROVE NEXT TIME ROUND....!!!! HOW CAN YOU IMPROVE ON PERFECTION????...

Hey, go easy with them positive waves, man! (Or was it 'Knock it off with them positive waves'?)

We've found if you heap too much praise on him, it all goes to his head and the thread goes quiet for a while. Best just keep the compliments to a dribble and that makes for steady progress :-D

Edited by N.O.S.

Thanks Hoseman and Tony

I cocked up on the top rails (back rest) and cut them too short for some reason and only realised the fault there when I went to put the seat sections on for a dry fit !!!!!!!!!!!! So that is one fault needing fixed !!!!!!!!!

The other fault which I am having bigger problems figuring out is that the seat section supports do not now match up with the dimensions I have on my reference photos that I took at Linlithgow !!!!!! I have not glued the seat sections in place yet as I want to check all my dimensions out, from the cargo bed timbers, the vertical posts, the top rails, the seats and the seat supports !!!!!!!!!!

I probably need to do a basic scale drawing and set out all my available dimensions and weed out the daft ones !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for looking in !!!!!!!!!!!

Need to watch Kelly's Heroes again !!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT FILM !!!!!!

Hey, go easy with them positive waves, man! (Or was it 'Knock it off with them positive waves'?)

We've found if you heap too much praise on him, it all goes to his head and the thread goes quiet for a while. Best just keep the compliments to a dribble and that makes for steady progress :-D

Dont worry, this build DOES make me dribble....!!!!!:cool2:

Thanks Hoseman and Tony

I cocked up on the top rails (back rest) and cut them too short for some reason and only realised the fault there when I went to put the seat sections on for a dry fit !!!!!!!!!!!! So that is one fault needing fixed !!!!!!!!!

The other fault which I am having bigger problems figuring out is that the seat section supports do not now match up with the dimensions I have on my reference photos that I took at Linlithgow !!!!!! I have not glued the seat sections in place yet as I want to check all my dimensions out, from the cargo bed timbers, the vertical posts, the top rails, the seats and the seat supports !!!!!!!!!!

I probably need to do a basic scale drawing and set out all my available dimensions and weed out the daft ones !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont talk to me about Kellys Heroes, ive opened a right can of worms with that movie in the "Worste Film" thread!!!!

Theres more blood n guts flying round than in the real film!!

Thanks for looking in !!!!!!!! I can't wait to see it finished too !!!!!!!! Thanks to Gerry for the CAD Howard at KFS for the casting, I am a lot closer to the finish line than I would have been, as I have enough wheels and tyres to make up my TM 4x4 and 6x6 with spares !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to say they are fantastic sets and the detail on the tread and sidewalls is fantastic !!!!!!!!!!

I will have them with me at Perth for folks to see up close !!!!!!!!

Must get my finger out and prepare for the show !!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Thanks Hoseman and Tony

Get a grip man!

Don't want any excuses at Perth, you can't build a flat bed like that & mess up on the seats? lol

You've got just over a week to get it sorted. lol

I'm not blowin' ya trumpet..............not just yet anyway lol

Tony

Hi Tony

On the other hand ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I could just poach all the fine scaled dimensions and plastic profile sizes straight from Howard's MK instruction sheet I NOW HAVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A damned sight easier than trying to find all the wrong dimensions !!!!!!!!!!!!!! SORTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still got to do the rebuild though !!!!!!!!!!

Nige

After working on a couple of tiny 1/144 scale choppers for the Club table at Perth I got back to correcting and fixing my bench seats. I had to pochel my own dimensions a fraction compared to Howard's proper dimensions as my floor fixings as built must just be out a fraction.

DVC09919.jpg

They fit now, so that is the main thing

DVC09918.jpg

DVC09917.jpg

DVC09916.jpg

Also slapped on a coat of primer and the Tamiyya Dark Green RAF

DVC09915.jpg

DVC09914.jpg

DVC09913.jpg

DVC09912.jpg

DVC09911.jpg

I need to stock up on paint and plastic card at Perth

Nige

Comin' on just great.

I remember gettin' 'kit kat ar*#' sittin' on those seats lol

I take it you'll be taking it to perth?

Hopefully after Tuesday I'll have all the info I need to complete my project as soon as KFS's 432 comes out.

Tony M

Comin' on just great.

I remember gettin' 'kit kat ar*#' sittin' on those seats lol

I take it you'll be taking it to perth?

Hopefully after Tuesday I'll have all the info I need to complete my project as soon as KFS's 432 comes out.

Tony M

I remember using the bergen to sit on the floor on long journeys which was ok if it wasn't full !!!!!!

Making a transformation of council workers to TA soldiers

DVC09270.jpg

Will be taking this to Perth as well as the DROPS

Nige

Driver figure has had his skip cap replaced with a beret made of blue tac

DVC09921.jpg

DVC09920.jpg

DVC09922.jpg

DVC09923.jpg

DVC09924.jpg

DVC09925.jpg

Sporting 1980's DPM Jacket, barrack dress trousers, beret and an RLC cap badge !!!!!!!!! Transformation complete !!!!!!!

Now ready to get a ride in the DROPS instead of sitting on the back of the TM !!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has any of these figures from the 1/24 toy utility truck range that they are happy to part with please get in touch !!!!!! Would be keen to get them joining the TA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Made up some camo netting bundles from white netting and simple tube acrylic paint !!!!!!!!!

DVC09926.jpg

DVC09927.jpg

Also cut some side screens and anti glare curtains from the fabric off a cheap £1 umbrella from the Pound Store !!!!!

DVC09928.jpg

Added a dusting of Mig European dust to them all

DVC09929.jpg

Hope you like

• 2 weeks later...

Had an oops moment with the cargo bed which shows that the tin foil can be very useful for replicating dented and damaged parts of a truck !!!!!!!!! Bumped the tray with the model over my desk edge and on grabbing it to save the contents did this along with breaking one of the bench seats !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thought it would be far worse damage than I expected !!!!!!!!!!!!

DVC09932.jpg

Managed to straighten out the part from this and could have put it back in but the bends weakened and cracked !!!!!!!!!

DVC09934.jpg

Helped in remembering what bends go where

DVC09935.jpg

DVC09936.jpg

It showed me that the process is repeatable very easily and the remaining structure stayed firm while all the buggering about !!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

I only put a dent in the mudguards of the King trailer with the iso locks not secured in the travelling position !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and I was in a Bedford MK that ended up on its side !!!!!!!!!!!!! We bent the tarp and rear box lifting it out with the Foden wrecker when the strops dug in during lifting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a bit of tilting that caused me grief !!!!!!!!!!!!!! This other type of tilt also caused me grief !!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of head scratching tocover it !!!!!!!!!

Tilt frame made of wire from used sparklers and the thicker wire from an old umbrella

DVC09940.jpg

DVC09941.jpg

DVC09942.jpg

DVC09944.jpg

DVC09943.jpg

Placed some cling film over the frame and then tissue layers

DVC09937-1.jpg

DVC09939.jpg

A spray of acrylic black also helps to stiffen the tarp

DVC09945.jpg

And with side screens on aswell, there will be very little of the cargo bed visible !!!!!!!!!!!! Will look to add the front screen and get an idea if I want to leave off the side screens as if getting loaded !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

I took a daft turn and worked on the model through the night even though I knew I was going to Braehead near Glasgow for our girls ten pin competition !!!!!!!! Not had any sleep !!!!!!!

I realised that my first tarp was hanging wrong and I came across a pic in my reference of the frame to show where I had gone wrong !!!! I had placed the first and last bow inboard a fraction of the uprights instead of directly above them !!!!!!

DVC09946.jpg

Used this tarp as a practice for painting so not totally wasted !!!!!!!!!! You can see the ends of the tarp slope inwards instead of sitting upright !!!!!!!

DVC09949.jpg

The tarp side panels have the edges folded for reinforcement so they could be holed for the ropes !!!!!

DVC09947.jpg

The rear panel has the edges folded and in the fold I put thin florist wire so that I could role the sheet for posing in the open position !!!!

DVC09948.jpg

Having sorted out the f**k up on the bows, I set about making version two of the tarp and went about it slightly different !!!!!! I used croc clips to tension the cling film and sprung tweezers to weight the end vallances !!!!!!!!!

DVC09950.jpg

Instead of trying to size the tarp over end to end as well as side to side and risk the tissue tearing, I place a sheet on the top surface from bow to bow without any overhangs !!!!!!! I then made two side strips identical of double thickness tissue with the florist wire in the fold to the depth of the overhang and pasted these on the edge of the first sheet !!!!! Used the hair dryer to speed the drying out !!!!!

DVC09954.jpg

I drew the end panels roughly on the tissue and added a fold and florist wire on the bottom edges again !!!!!!!!! Pasted these gently onto the ends and blow dried them before trimming and pasting down the overlaps !!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVC09951.jpg

DVC09953.jpg

The end and side vallances are much neater and sit straigther and smoother !!!!! Although the whole tarp is very tight and will not be able to come off the frame !!!!!!!!!!!! No biggy there though as I can make another frame up very easily to pose without a tarp !!!!!

DVC09955.jpg

While working i rolled the chair over one of the cargo bed corner posts and had to fix it !!!!!!

DVC09960.jpg

DVC09961.jpg

Hope I don't break any more vital parts !!!!!!!!! The ropes on the side panels were threaded through holes pierced in the tissue with superglue on the end of a cocktail stick pressed in the holemaking a convincing rienforcement ring !!!!!!!!! I might tie down one side and have the other side opened up or the side panels off and folded !!!!!!!!! Still to decide !!!!!

DVC09959.jpg

Some pastels and weatheing powders will take some of the sheen off the paint but I like this tarp better now !!!!!!!

DVC09962.jpg

DVC09963.jpg

Will sleep well tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!

At the risk of breaking the frame, I prised it out from under the tarp so that I could introduce the front panel with the proper amount of overlap otherwise it would have sat proud and looked totally wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!

Again tissue and PVA but used the wire to help add a bit of defenition around the communication window to the cab which I am keeping rolled up to let a little more light in and show off the top rail of the headboard which has the detail on it !!!!!!!!

DVC09967.jpg

DVC09966.jpg

DVC09965.jpg

Still got to weather this panel down a little too !!!!!!!!!!

Our Stirling Model Club is having a small show with a couple of other invited clubs joining in on Saturday at the Boys Club on St John Street Stirling from about 9.30am if any one is in the area.Entry is very cheap and would be good to see folks if they can make it !!!!!!!!!!

Nige

I wish you luck with the show, Nige, but a bit of a long way for me to come from Poland....

Trevor

Hi Trevor

Not a Telford style show to make the massive journey for !!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully a bit of fun none-the-less and a chance to catch up with folks for a blether !!!!!!!!

Nige

• 2 months later...

Hi folks

Finally got around to some fettling of plastic during my holidays !!!!!!!!!!!!! All respect to the guys that do master building as a profession and thanks to Paul Hazel for his master to act as a guide !!!!!!!!

As this is my first attempt, mine is a tad more scrappy and varies in as much as my cab is not being built with a view of re-casting !!!!! I only therefor have my self to please !!!!! I also want to have areas through the front grills to be visible, but funnily that will give me more hastle later on as I need to shoe horn the radiator in to a space I already know is not totally available (engine build is slightly too long) !!!!!!

Here is my attempt at a cab with hopefully an ability to display door open and cab interior !!!!!

060820132505.jpg

Against Paul Hazel's master for comparison

110820132533.jpg

Main difference is the size of the pressings and the space over the gearbox unshrouded

110820132534.jpg

Have made the front grill a separate piece which may give more space to fit the radiator in

130820132536.jpg

I rubbed the pressings into the aluminium foil and added them on the inside to mimic the single sheet thickness of the cab (more internal framing to add beside it)

130820132537.jpg

130820132538.jpg

130820132539.jpg

Hope you like

Nige