War and Peace Revival *New Location*

If its such a big earner for the hop farm will they hold there own War and Peace show in July?

It's not just about having a big field & money to put a show on... they have no database of MV owners/Re-enactors or knowledge of the MV movement or the contacts that Rex has etc..

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth here's my Nutshell Take on it!

A change was needed I feel, as do a lot of other attendees. W&P is/was always a good show, but was getting stale.

People are naturally opposed to change in a lot of respects, & that is understandable. But, Now Rex has the freedom to

layout the show the way he wants to. After gaining MANY years expirience, & listening & noting comments from attendees. Both positive, & negative comments can be collated to hopefully produce a better show. Geared up more to the MV exhibitor & Living History sectors.

I am SURE he has gotten fed up with complaints & grousing over the years! BUT, no matter WHAT you do, we are all aware of the old. 'Your dammed if you do, your dammed if you dont' Syndrome!

I have observed some of the comments from some of our collegues here on the forum. Who live great distances from the new venue, & state that they will not attend next year. Well, my two penneies worth is, OK, I understand your feelings on that totaly. You have the right to not attend if that is what you wish. I feel, that there will then be more room for vehicle movement & the choosing of good space for those that do attend.

When those that are not attending then later hear how good the show was. & how there will be plans to better it even further the following year. they MAY, well regret not supporting W&P Revival..............And then book in for the next years show!

We have all seen how W&P has grown to immense Proportions over the years. A victim os it's own success (Within limitations!) you might say?

The new show Should indeed do similar, grow bigger & better. As expierince gained from the new show brings up the shortfalls & Bugs inherent with any new venture.

Bottom Line: There is NO show WORLDWIDE, that draws as much attention & attendance in the MV Field as W&P!

Why else, do some exhibitors travel all the way accross Europe to attend?................

NOTE: These views are my own, & expressed as Positively Contributed Information. They are NOT intended to invoke insults or negative comments towards our Northern Cousins! (I have a lot of Friends up North! )

Ill be there...can't wait in fact. Yes I will probably have the odd bitch about toilets, cost, distance etc etc but I just know that not being there is not an option. I do wonder if the racecourse know what they have let themselves in for though!

Now then wheres that map I need to get down there this weekend to get my pitch staked out...:D

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/home/2012/december/4/war_and_peace.aspx

The War and Peace Show, held in Kent for 30 years, is going into battle with a new name and a new home in Hellfire Corner.

After 25 years at the Hop Farm, the War and Peace Revival will be held at the Folkestone Racecourse site, near Hythe, between July 17 and 21 next year.

Organiser Rex Cadman decided it needed a refreshing.

The world’s biggest military vehicle expo, which a few years ago suffered bad publicity over the attendance of alleged Nazi sympathisers, started in 1982 as a small club event run by the Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS) and featuring just 100 vehicles.

It now attracts thousands to displays of military vehicles and battle re-enactments as well as giving visitors a rare opportunity to meet WW2 and other veterans.

Mr Cadman said: “I’m incredibly excited about this new show at this wonderful new venue.

"After 30 years, The War and Peace Show was starting to become a little staid, so we decided it was time to finish it while our visitors still had fond memories of this amazing event and end on a high.

“The new show will draw on our knowledge and experience and be even greater.

"The venue couldn’t be a better fit due to the amazing history of both the racecourse – RAF Westenhanger as it used to be known – and this area of Kent.

The War and Peace Revival will continue to recognise the significant achievements and sacrifices of so many during our periods of conflict to keep our heritage British.”

A question mark hangs over the future of Folkestone Racecourse as a venue for horseracing, but course owner Arena Leisure has agreed a deal with Mr Cadman.

He was keen to use the venue because of its setting in the heart of Hellfire Corner, so named due to the battering it received during the Battle of Britain in 1940.

Cllr Robert Bliss, leader of Shepway council, welcomed the decision to move the show to the area.

“I believe it will have a significant positive economic effect on the area, bringing thousands of people to Folkestone Racecourse in July.

"The council will be pleased to dedicate resources to help organisers with the co-ordination and planning of this wonderful event.”

IMPS president James Baxter, said: “This new show, in a fantastic location, is a very exciting development.

"The permanent facilities, such as bars, restaurants, etc provided at the racecourse will greatly enhance the experience of the show, for both visitors and exhibitors alike.

"Rex Cadman is moving military history events to a new level which cannot be matched anywhere else, and IMPS is delighted to support this new venture.”

• Folkestone Racecourse was used as part of Operation Fortitude (South) during WW2 - the great deception designed to fool the Germans into believing the D-Day landings would be in Calais, not Normandy.
    Inflatable aircraft were set up along the racecourse to make it look like an active airfield and in 1944 660 Squadron used the racecourse to practise operations with local army units, prior to leaving for France three months later.

Tuesday, December 04 2012

Still advertised as a MV show, so mv's should be free.

A £25 facility fee is payable for each military vehicle entry and entitles you to two adult and two child (3-15 inclusive) passes and a camping pitch for the week. Extra passes are available at £30 per adult and £20 per child.

Entry to the site will be from Friday 12 July 2013

http://www.thewarandpeacerevival.co.uk/tickets-entry-forms.html

Edited by ian2b
extra info

and we'll be able to have an area for those that need to dig and those that don't.
:rotfl:That release sounds positive, I'm sad in a way, but also looking forward to a change. Bring it on and best of luck to Rex.

I did quite like the backroad ramble as a wind down from the M25 though so I for one will try and avoid the M20

This page is worth reading....

http://www.thewarandpeacerevival.co.uk/news-12-12-04.html

Chris

Interesting read, especially the distance.

Quote.

From the Dartford Tunnel it is just another 24 miles further on for visitors north of there, or 28 miles further from Clackett Lane on the M25

More like from Tunnel 52 miles & Clackett 51 miles, according to google maps

:rotfl:That release sounds positive, I'm sad in a way, but also looking forward to a change. Bring it on and best of luck to Rex.

I did quite like the backroad ramble as a wind down from the M25 though so I for one will try and avoid the M20

You have summed up my thoughts perfectly there Tugger ! I can't see me driving my old Pig on the motorway at any point though ! Just too risky ! Best I start planning my route now as the Pig knew the way to the Hopfarm automatically after so many years ! :-D

Interesting read, especially the distance. Quote. From the Dartford Tunnel it is just another 24 miles further on for visitors north of there, or 28 miles further from Clackett Lane on the M25 More like from Tunnel 52 miles & Clackett 51 miles, according to google maps

:n00b: read it again, if you are coming from the Tunnel it is 24 miles further on than if you went to Beltring, same meaning re. Clacketts

Interesting read, especially the distance.

Quote.

From the Dartford Tunnel it is just another 24 miles further on for visitors north of there, or 28 miles further from Clackett Lane on the M25

More like from Tunnel 52 miles & Clackett 51 miles, according to google maps

I read this as those being the distances 'further on' from the exit for Paddock Wood from Dartford or Clacketts.

Unless I missed it there is no longer any mention of free entry for IMPS members. Is that now not being offered? As a member I appreciated being able to take an unlimited number of vehicles as a perk of my membership. We used to make several runs with more than 10 exhibits, but with only a small number of human attendees accompanying. It wouldn't make financial sense to pay £25 for each of those vehicles if there were no extra people coming to make the 'free' entries worthwhile. - please ignore this, there is still free entry for IMPS, sorry.

For us this doubles the distance, travelling time and fuel costs to attend so the change of venue will probably preclude this former level of attendance anyway but we will have to see nearer the time.

Nonetheless it looks interesting and we will support it and see what it becomes. It will be interesting to see if it reaches the levels of 'old' W&P or whether it ends up being only a scaled-down version.

- MG

Edited by TooTallMike
Not reading the entry form properly...

:n00b: read it again, if you are coming from the Tunnel it is 24 miles further on than if you went to Beltring, same meaning re. Clacketts

Does that mean that I have to get to the venue via Clacketts then Richard?

Glyn