War and Peace Revival *New Location*

On the War and Peace website they normally have a countdown to the next show have I missed it on the site or have I added to the conspiracy theories lol !

If and I say if again it has moved locations I suspect it won't be a bad thing as these kind of things naturally develop a resistance to any kind of change to the status quo even if it is for the better.

Wait and see its to far south for me I'm for a new event up north if only it wouldn't pee down so much!!! :undecided:

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a stall holder at this event for a fair few years,the price of the pitch and the fuel costs put paid to my idea of this event being much fun this year.So much so that I gave the TATBARROW up completely.

Lugging the "TAT" an extra 50 miles definately doesnt seem a good idea for 2013.

I can see that other traders may think about this and the price of goodies may reflect at the additional transport costs in 2013.

Will I still attend as an exhibitor, well Im going to have to weigh that one up, driving a V8 snatch isnt cheap at the best of times and the extra distance may be a show too far.

I only attend for 1 or 2 days, and only ever once with an exhibit vehicle, so my comments should be read with this in mind.

Strikes me that the show has moved from mainly UK MVs to an ever increasing proportion of European MVs and participants, same with the military related stalls (mind you this integration of UK / European is a really positive feature of the show). Would this be a fair reflection?

From a European view the new location is closer and easier, but only marginally. From a UK view it is further away, but only marginally. Must be acknowledged though that even a marginal increase in distance can be terminal in terms of expense :-(

Having said that, if you're driving or hauling a MV 200 odd miles the extra distance is a bit academic.

If the financial factor is paramount in laying on a show like this, then need to consider revenue. Comprised mainly of gate revenue from visitors to see the show (MVs and stalls), and stall holders. Revenue from of MV exhibitors is marginal.

Moving 60 miles won't make a lot of difference to visitors, maybe UK MVs dropping out will be replaced by more European MVs? But that would change the atmosphere a bit. There must be a fine balance to successful UK/European exhibits. Main factor in determining revenue from visitors is if there isn't enough to see to justify the trip - i.e. MV attendance.

A change can be refreshing -and I think W&P could benefit greatly from this, it has become too ...familiar? bad habits set in? - can't think of the right way to describe it but you know what I mean!

I guess the ideal scenario would be to move it to a more 'UK central' location and accept the adverse affect on European participation - a great shame but the benefit of allowing participation by a much wider selection of UK owned MVs would be immense.

Problem is - I'm not convinced there is room for more than one annual mega show such as W&P. So reckon we're stuck with what the relocated W&P can offer. I wouldn't like the job of organising something like this, and if a move is necessary for whatever reason, you can't blame the organiser for finding the best available alternative in a location near to his own back yard.

Or is this last comment too negative? Come on whoever you are - please prove it wrong (hell of a job but someone must be able to pull it off!).

Edited by N.O.S.

Can I book up now for Bed and Breakfast please Richard !:-D

hi Andy,

Sorry, you are a bit late, mate. When I heard about this a few weeks ago, I had some overseas visitors lined up on standby for B&B, can now confirm their bookings ;). Bit like when the Olympics were on, seize an opportunity :D.

This has not come as a surprise, little bits on information have been picked up in the last six weeks or so to know something was happening and this has confirmed exactly what I had worked out. OK, it is close by, but then Beltring was only 30 miles for me. Over the years we have had rumblings about the Southsea show and others being too far South and so on, saying there is nothing up North, well when I look in the show diaries, there are a lot of interesting events in the Northern part of the country, out of our reach down here (if you have older vehicles, ie slower). So that arguement wears thin. Don't forget W&P was spawned from the IMPS club event, a club which has its roots in Kent and surrounding counties. The Motorway access is excellent and there is a railway station outside of the gate at Westenhanger, so good for visitors.

I have been attending Beltring with vehicles since the first one and have to say that in the last few years, as much as I look forward to it for months, on arrival a walk around gives you that feeling of "same old thing, everything in the same place" and so on. A new approach on a new site could be like a breath of fresh air. I am eagerly looking forward to it.

From Maidstone M20 where a lot of traffic would turn off for Beltring the new site is only 30 miles further on, adjacent to J11 M20, and A20 for the non motorway traffic and a few miles from the tunnel terminal, also its adjacent to Westenhanger train station so it has good access

Edited by Nick Johns

hi Andy,

Sorry, you are a bit late, mate. When I heard about this a few weeks ago, I had some overseas visitors lined up on standby for B&B, can now confirm their bookings ;). Bit like when the Olympics were on, seize an opportunity :D.

Thats just standard for me Richard , missed the boat again :-D My first thoughts on relocation , initially gutted cos I love my holiday at the Hopfarm ! On reflection though I'm going to travel the extra mileage this year to give it a go ! Leave is booked already so hope the date stays the same ! Would be nice to see something unusual there and maybe a few more Humbers and Scammells :nut:

The talk of "too far South" reminds me of the Great Dorset Steam Fair, popular with commercial vehicle and tractor enthusiasts as well as steam. That still draw visitors and participants from far and wide, inc entries from Europe. There are shows of the same type around the country, but for sheer size and variety it can't be beaten. War & Peace is like that, people will still come there, enjoy themselves and have fun. The new venue is good news, well done to Rex for pulling it off.

The shows up North whilst good or even great do not have the same numbers of traders or exhibitors but I can't say I bought a great deal at this years W&P show.

I thought this years W&P was a great show because people had to move away from where they normally would have set up camp. Will this years W&P be the biggest military show in the world I suspect it will, thinking about it thats possibly a great reason to go as it will all be fresh and new. Lets hope they don't go backwards in regards to the facilities !!!

Its not the best idea in the world to cater to just the european market either its the turkeys in this country that make up 3/4's of the show!! I'm surprised that the Hop Farm team haven't thought about setting up a rival show without having to rely on Rex.

I Guess it will be Officially confirmed, when Rex sends out his Christmas card. With Registration/Entry forms for the show next year?...

If this is so, I feel it will be the end of an Era. However, on the plus side for me personaly. It's right on my doorstep, so i will save a bit on Fuel!

Getting established, is always a little difficult. But Rex is very expirienced in what is required to set up a show of this magnitude. We have all seen W&P grow bigger over the years.

To the point that at times, the showground struggles to cope with the amount of vehicles/Tents/People Etc at the venue.

I am NOT running down any of our Fellow members/Attendees from up North/Further afield & the like. BUT, If less people do attend the new potential venue. Then there will be more room to move about & choose where you wish to camp/display Etc.

As it gains Popularity again, it WILL grow naturaly I feel. After all, W&P was the Largest MV Event ever established WORLDWIDE!

Confirmed by the amount of visiting oversea's contributors/MV Vehicle enthusiasts attending it.

I have heard/seen/ observed MANY gripes with regards to W&P at the Hopfarm.Perhaps Rex has had enough of getting the blame for just about everything that has gone wrong in the past? (Just a thought!) & feels that a show that is TOTALY

organised by him. Should then not be accountable to 'Other Managment' potential 'Interference'. To that end, it could leave the new show/venue open to huge improvement & gain the Popularity it once enjoyed a number of years back.

NOTE: These are Purely MY thoughts on the topic, & I have no stake/Interest/Connection to W&P & Rex Cadman. Other than like MANY of us. A displaying Attendee, & many W&P events on an annual basis!

Dont shoot Me, Im ONLY a Contributing 'Messinger'!.........;)

I'll probably still go but won't bring anything especially interesting to exhibit.

When the weather looks to be dry I have taken the Pig (5+ hours) or Shorland (4+ hours). Another 1+ hours on top of this is too much, particularly for the return journey when I comply with the organiser's wishes by staying to the end of the show.

There seems to be some excitement about the good motorway connections. Ok for visitors but I hate motorway driving in the above vehicles vision is clearly not so good as in a car but speed is the issue that other road users can't grasp. They either try to bully you into faster speeds by tailgating or just suddenly zoom up your rear not realising you are not as fast as a car.

So good motorway access means nothing to me. Dawdling through the countryside on a summer's day on B roads was part of the fun of it, but another 1+ hour would turn into a drudge apart from any fuel considerations.

So hope to be there but just in Land Rover :)

:cry::cry::cry::cry::rolleyes:

I'll probably still go but won't bring anything especially interesting to exhibit.

When the weather looks to be dry I have taken the Pig (5+ hours) or Shorland (4+ hours). Another 1+ hours on top of this is too much, particularly for the return journey when I comply with the organiser's wishes by staying to the end of the show.

There seems to be some excitement about the good motorway connections. Ok for visitors but I hate motorway driving in the above vehicles vision is clearly not so good as in a car but speed is the issue that other road users can't grasp. They either try to bully you into faster speeds by tailgating or just suddenly zoom up your rear not realising you are not as fast as a car.

So good motorway access means nothing to me. Dawdling through the countryside on a summer's day on B roads was part of the fun of it, but another 1+ hour would turn into a drudge apart from any fuel considerations.

So hope to be there but just in Land Rover :)

:cry::cry::cry:;) Clive we could meet at the hopfarm the day before , have a meal in the local pub and then trundle down together the next day after having had a lovely nights sleep in the back of our Pigs :angel:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::rolleyes:

:cry::cry::cry:;) Clive we could meet at the hopfarm the day before , have a meal in the local pub and then trundle down together the next day after having had a lovely nights sleep in the back of our Pigs :angel:

Sounds like I've got a date then? What & the same on the return journey? I once set out on the return journey on the Monday but felt a feeling of anarchy descend during the night once the show was officially over. So I don't know where you thinking of parking the Pigs.

Although now the Hop Farm is a bit of a detour I was going to bimble along the coastal route.