Cooper War Combat Motor Scooter

welbike

Here's a new thread, instead of continuing on the Cushman one.

Frank Cooper from California USA, thought it was a good idea to convert an existing Powell model, to Airborne spec's in 1943 and submitted it to the US Army, there it was tested on the 17th of february 1944, and it was found satisfactory.

"Tests of the Cooper MotorScooter, 2 wheel, Airborne type were conducted at CampMackall and have proven equally satisfactory or slightly superior to the Cushman motor scooter of similar type. However, Headquarters, Army Service Forces

Investigated the manufacturing facilities of the two firms and recommended Cushman Motor works be awarded a contract for 600 scooters."

There were three more competitors, of which I have no further info:

"J. A. Strimple Co. - Janesville, Wisconsin

SalisburyCorporation - Los Angeles, California

TheCuster Specialty Co. - Dayton, Ohio"

So the project was short lived and maybe only 1 -25 Coopers made, based on U.S.A. Registration numbers given.

The test rapport speaks of a "modified" Packard gear box, but mine has a WLA Harley transmission, that did away with the strange kickstarter arrangment on the r/h side of the engine.

The engine was a 5hp. Wisconsin model, and had 500cc.

Here some pictures of the tested model:

Cooper_scan.jpg

Cooper_002_b.jpg

And mine:

WP_000808.jpg

Hopefully, I will restore it next year, I had the engine running a couple of years back!

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
spelling