OK, that confuses things! HMS Vernon was the Torpedo and mine establishment. Was it a support site for divers? The only other thing that comes to mind is a Foxer.That is a large clanging device that was towed about for distracting acoustic mines and torpedos. Though this is fixed to the lake/sea bed.(Is the Rosie for autograph cokkie that keeps appearing at the tyop of the page a futher attempt to distract?)

The lake was a torpedo test lake that I assume was part of Vernon. Although things other than torpedoes & mines were investigated there in those days.:-D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These where once seen in the lake at the Lakeside shopping centre, put kids in tank, connect the hauling down hawser to car then drive off and park, don't forget to pop back at lunchtime to drop crisps and chocolate down the delivery food pipe, and cola down the drink pipe.

The tank will surface as you drive off, try to remember to stop and haul tank in and get kids out, that's if you can get them to leave all the electrical gadgets behind.....

These where once seen in the lake at the Lakeside shopping centre, put kids in tank, connect the hauling down hawser to car then drive off and park, don't forget to pop back at lunchtime to drop crisps and chocolate down the delivery food pipe, and cola down the drink pipe.

The tank will surface as you drive off, try to remember to stop and haul tank in and get kids out, that's if you can get them to leave all the electrical gadgets behind.....

Now then, now then. Nothing like that, this was a training school of His Majesty's Royal Navy.

Oh for goodness sake, I couldn't see it for looking!

It is of course a waste tank, the hut obviously containing a toilet. There is an electrical float switch in the tank indicating when it should be hauled away for emptying using the wire rope shown. When the tank is empty it requires the ballast weight and rope to keep it below the hut. It has to be allowed to surface when pulled away from the floating Khazi to permit emptying.

Which reminds me - we were discussing the problem of adapting a luxurious barge already converted for living, but which contained a waste tank below the new minimum Euro size and which could not readily be made bigger. An idea arose whereby a large dingy containing a tank could be towed behind the barge with a flexi waste pipe connected. Somehow it seemed appropriate to rename the barge AFFLUENT and name the tender EFFLUENT.

Oh for goodness sake, I couldn't see it for looking!

It is of course a waste tank, the hut obviously containing a toilet. There is an electrical float switch in the tank indicating when it should be hauled away for emptying using the wire rope shown. When the tank is empty it requires the ballast weight and rope to keep it below the hut. It has to be allowed to surface when pulled away from the floating Khazi to permit emptying.

Which reminds me - we were discussing the problem of adapting a luxurious barge already converted for living, but which contained a waste tank below the new minimum Euro size and which could not readily be made bigger. An idea arose whereby a large dingy containing a tank could be towed behind the barge with a flexi waste pipe connected. Somehow it seemed appropriate to rename the barge AFFLUENT and name the tender EFFLUENT.

Oh yes & I suppose it had a poop deck :shocked:

Would it be ............................some sort.....................of ...........................noise generator ? To simulate sound of submarines props/engines. CrabfatBill

That's an interesting thought because somehow they would need something like that to develop monitoring equipment & train the operators, but that's not the answer here.

Was it an Asdic training aid, noise being generated in the cylinder and operators could tune onto it, ping it, being that it could be moved about said lake as a pretend submarine? Jerry

Or maybe communication with divers? Call down the pipe and it gets amplified in the tank and the sound waves transmitted into the water?

Was it an Asdic training aid, noise being generated in the cylinder and operators could tune onto it, ping it, being that it could be moved about said lake as a pretend submarine? Jerry

Jerry others have suggested similar sorts of things. It is not sonar, sound, Asdic related, although it looks as if it might be!