WW2 British CAV Electrical Equipment - Control Board.

David B.

Can anyone please tell me the original factory colour of the casing for the WW2 CAV voltage control box (or Control Board as its described in parts books).

In this case the CAV 141-1 as fitted to a Dingo.

I'm presuming black but I've seen some painted silver as the rest of the engine bay and green as the rest of the vehicle. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of an unused,straight from the stores example ?

Thanks.

David.

Edited by David B.

Can anyone please tell me the original factory colour of the casing for the WW2 CAV voltage control box (or Control Board as described in parts books).

I'm presuming black but I've seen some painted silver as the rest of the engine bay and green as the rest of the vehicle. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of an unused,straight from the stores example ?

Thanks.

David.

Good evening David, the CAV units I have for the Leyland are NoS CVC and fuse box they are made from a material that is similar to Bakerlite but more fibrous and brittle the colour is dull black.

Regards

Pete

Can anyone please tell me the original factory colour of the casing for the WW2 CAV voltage control box (or Control Board as described in parts books).

Thanks.

David.

Hi David,

The base part is cast iron I think, I know it is heavy, and covers are alloy. I have a similar one, unused and it is black. One being overhauled at present to go back in an armoured car, it will be black. Think if you find them silver it is because a squaddie has repainted the engine bay and nothing was missed :D

H

I have a similar one, unused and it is black............Think if you find them silver it is because a squaddie has repainted the engine bay and nothing was missed :D

Thanks Richard that confirms my thoughts. What sort of level of gloss ?

Edited by David B.

Good evening David, the CAV units I have for the Leyland are NoS CVC and fuse box they are made from a material that is similar to Bakerlite but more fibrous and brittle the colour is dull black.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete - I've found out that CAV made different types. The Dingo unit is as Richard describes.

Hope all is well with you - haven't seen you for a few years !!

Regards,

David.

Hello,

They are well black... You can find the two NOS original variants by Dirk Leegwater on http://www.lwdparts.com/

> Parts Canadian Military Pattern > Armoured vehicles

[h=2]Switchboard's, Canadian & U.K. design[/h]C01UC - 100398 kit assy. of the

Cdn. Brengun Carrier Mk I - II

Price: request

LV6/MT4/C8 - 47A/29 Switchboard

U.K. design instrument panel's

Switches.jpg

Hello,

They are well black... You can find the two NOS original variants by Dirk Leegwater on http://www.lwdparts.com/

> Parts Canadian Military Pattern > Armoured vehicles

Switchboard's, Canadian & U.K. design

C01UC - 100398 kit assy. of the

Cdn. Brengun Carrier Mk I - II

LV6/MT4/C8 - 47A/29 Switchboard

U.K. design instrument panel's

Switches.jpg

Thanks but they are not the same instrument. The Control Board is the square box as Richard described containing the voltage control stuff. Quite possibly all CAV metal parts were finished in the same paint though - the original "Black Box" ?

Thanks Pete - I've found out that CAV made different types. The Dingo unit is as Richard describes.

Hope all is well with you - haven't seen you for a few years !!

Regards,

David.

Not come across metal cased CAV units before, is that an armoured thing ?.

I'm good thank you David still plenty of the toys in the barn to play with. No we have not met for a few years, I do occasionally emerge out off the mists of the west as my son still lives in Wantage and we do a couple of shows a year and a few sales to keep my hand in ;)

regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

These are large boxes about 10" square and are used on armour and also I recollect the Bedford QLR has one for its aux. generator.

Thank you Richard full answer as expected, interesting that you quote the QLR aux gen control unit as being a similar example as I've noticed on factory photos of Mk3 Machinery bodies that are fitted with switch gear for machines a similar sized item mounted on the front board with the isolators. I never could work out what it was, I now wonder if it was one of these units.

Pete

[quote=Pete Ashby;345180

I'm good thank you David.................

regards

Pete

Tut tut Pete - there must be too many Starbucks and Macdonalds in your part of the world ! I'm always pedantically telling off my small Grand- daughter for saying that. I'm pleased you are well though. I've got the barn now and still have the vehicles but no spare time.

Hope to see you on one of your visits,

All the best,

David.

Tut tut Pete - there must be too many Starbucks and Macdonalds in your part of the world ! I'm always pedantically telling off my small Grand- daughter for saying that. I'm pleased you are well though. I've got the barn now and still have the vehicles but no spare time.

Hope to see you on one of your visits,

All the best,

David.

More sheep than the dreaded golden arches David,................but then everyone needs a hobby :nut::nut:

Pete