Bl**dy V8's

sas pinkie

Well here is the problem, I know nothing about this old technology stuff and my Pinkie had to be bodged through the MOT as it was running as rich as. Everytime I attach a choke cable I end up pulling the end off as it seems to be stuck, though I can operate the choke mechanism by hand easy enough.

So what I need is some one with the knowledge and tools to balance and set up my twin SU carbs, and help sort my choke cable, as I am finding this all a bit frustrating. What can I offer in return......... a bacon butty and as much tea as you can swallow, plus at least 5 mins of gratitued!!! Bargain surley :-D

So pretty please...... :angel: :whistle:

Karl,

Couple of thoughts:

Twin SU's can be set up by using a peice of rube applied one end to the ear and one in the intakes and listening to the "hiss" of the intake - when they sound the same they are balanced. Takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of doing it it's not too bad.

Alternatively Gunsons make a thing called a "Carbalancer" which you can still get from the MGOC for about £15 - plugs both intakes and you adjust the carbs until both gauges read OK.

The choke might be grit inside the outer cable - when you say you've replaced the choke cable do you mean the whole assembly or just the inner? If just the inner then trying blowing the outer through with compressed air.

Alternatively something is - or has - pinched the cable - is the cable routed cleanly both sides of the bulk head with no damage to the outer that can be seen or felt??

Hi Artists..., as far as balancing goes, cheers for the advice, but I also need to get the mixture right, as it is a bit rich (I found a friendly, sympathetic MOT tester), but I do not want to lean it off myself as I do not really know how to tell if I have gone too far, until it pinks and burns a hole in a piston :-o.

Choke cable and route are not the problem, as once I have got the mechanism to move over the initial "fulcrum" it operates freely. Its just the first quater or so of the movement that is a problem, I have managed to pull the end off of two cables so far and at £12 - £15 a go I do not want to break any more, hence I am after someone with greater knowledge than I to point me in the right direction.

Karl - take a wander down to your accessory shop and look for a device called a "Colourtune" - another Gunson product. Replaces 1 sparkplug - start the engine and look in the mirror and you will see the flame of the ignition - just adjust the miture screw until a nice blue flame is seen. Orange is too rich and whitish is too lean.

For a twin carb V8, obviously, do 1 bank at a time - I used to own a P6 3500S and used it on that successfully.

If the choke is having an over-center issue it sounds like something is out of alignment. Are you bringing it up to the FirePower show next weekend??? If so we could take a look there for you???