Snow Trac ST4 Survivors

snowtracdave

Been trying to track down my notes which are

a) a bit disorganised

b) a bit behind the times .

But in any case , as far as I can see we have surviving :

47 RN 34

52 RN 64 (can you pm me the vehicle number so I can place it in order please Jim)

56 RN 55

62 RN 69

62 RN 73

77 RN 08

01 RN 74

And mine which is ex RAE and has always carried a civilian number .

I'm sure I've missed a couple off the list so please put me right if you know any others .

Another couple to add, but I just have locations rather than numbers.

There's a red one visible by the west side of the A9 south of Aviemore, presumably civilian - I always thought it had to the the one restored for the TV.

... and, if we are talking owned by the UK, HM Her Maj has one parked in the stable block at Balmoral castle.

I'd be interested to hear if you run across any US Army versions, as they were surely trialed ( don't have Crismon's book to hand )

Should you run across any similar US-built snow stuff please let me know as I have few bits and pieces here in Scotland.

( Tucker Sno-Cat, four Saginaw M19 ski / wheel trailers, and a bunch of Allis-Chalmers T26E4 M7 Snow Tractor spares )

Gordon

Edited by Gordon_M

Hey Gordon

I seen that one on the Perth to inverness road when I went to see my friend at Lossiemouth. Missed it in the dark on the up run, saw it in the day time on the down run whilst in traffic, so following year I looked out for it and pulled over on the down run and went to the farm but no one was in, I quickly got some pictures of it and it was featured in one of the Mil Vehicle mags.

I will dig out the pics I have.

Ta

Jon

hi snowtracdave,

do you think either of these could ever run again, or theyre better off being left for the rust.

many thanks

alex ironhorse

Difficult question to answer Alex - I'm several hundred miles away & not seen these two although I suspect my friend Mr Chatfield will know them . As I said earlier the engines are not too much of a problem as it's just the industrial version of the VW boxer flat four , most of the metalwork is flat sheet so any competant welder / folder could repair that apart from the bonnet which has compound curves -could be a bit problematic if that's missing .. The chassis is box section. Floor is ply . Tracks are basically conveyor belt canvas . Degraded tyres are going to be the biggest problem as they just aren't around anymore as far as I'm aware . (I'd love someone to tell me I'm wrong about that and where you can get them now......).

Like most things , if somebody is prepared to spend enough time and/or money on a vehicle then they will always be restorable . The end result in this case would be an unusual and relatively rare exhibit to take to shows which is compact and easy to transport around and store being roughly the same size as an SWB Land Rover. A vehicle which is surprisingly useable and enormous fun to play with but unlikely to be worth what it cost to rebuild but then very few of our toys are when it comes down to it and who actually expects to make a profit at the end of a restoration anyway ?

Edited by snowtracdave
added info

Well there was still a green one at Balmoral tail end of last year, I think I was there in September, unless it has moved in five months ?

The camo one was at Beltring in 2002, and the white one was at Willie Bone's place in St Johns Town of Dalry about the same time.

B02SNOTR.jpg

SJTD2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Should you run across any similar US-built snow stuff please let me know as I have few bits and pieces here in Scotland.

( Tucker Sno-Cat, four Saginaw M19 ski / wheel trailers, and a bunch of Allis-Chalmers T26E4 M7 Snow Tractor spares )

Gordon, do you know this Sno-Cat?

http://www.modellismopiu.net/m+gallerie/main.php?g2_itemId=257742

There is one in the yard next to where the Noth Staffs MVT meet, dont know if it is ex military or not, maybe a NSMVT member can shed light on it?

Mark

Hi Mark any chanceof finding out any info on it as may be interested in purchasing if its for sale

Hi Hanno,

I just about know what that is. Basically it is a type 843, the 743 but with cabover configuration, however that's a real army one and it has mud & snow tracks on it rather than snow tracks. Where is that one - do you know? The pontoon configuration is more like the US Army version.

There is a similar civilian one in the Belgian army Museum ( Brussels? )

belgcat1.jpg

Gordon

Edited by Gordon_M
added link

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to upload this picture for a while now. I spotted it last year on the M5 southbound near Gloucester last summer, sorry for the not so brilliant photo.

224.jpg

Edited by Smithy

• 1 year later...