Bedford RL Light Recovery

• 1 month later...
Hello. I am about to overhaul the winch on YSU350. The limited docs that I have refer to "Technical Handbook EMER Wh Veh F 172" for winch overhaul. Can anyone help?? Rgds, Daniel.

Don't think I can help with RL emer but will have a look when I get home.

I am about to scrap my RL Light Recovery due to extensive tin worm, a fact which breaks my heart. Don't want to buy it for spares do you? I would prefer it to be fully restored but being broken up for spares is better than just going in the pot to become razor blades and tin cans. PM me if you are interested?

Interesting images Jules, love the look of that Martians tyres!

The number on that Explorer has appeared in the Explorer gallery, post 110, but it had mudguards then....

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/ANDYSCAMMELL/SCAMMELL%20EXPLORER/SennyB4001.jpg

Edited by gritineye

• 3 months later...
Can someone identify and explain this insignia found in a couple of places on the truck please? It is just a tatty sticker and about to get removed, I'm not sure if it merits reinstating after vehicle is painted.

Hi Dan - I'd guess it's a brigade or divisional formation badge but I have never seen one like that before and a quick internet search doesn't throw anything up. Have you tried contacting the REME museum? They might know...

Duncan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dear All.

I am making a model of the Accurate Armours Bedford RL Wrecker (1/35th scale) and I am stuck for some decent photos of the rear body, I have got some from this site, but realy would like a diagram if possible of the top view of the rear body layout, does any one have a workshop manual for this vehicle which might have some good photos of the rear body work, that they could send me copies of please.

Regards from

Dizzy-t

Interesting tyres on the RL with its front end torn off. Are these standard commercial highway crossplies?

John.

I served in Aden during 1966 and 1967 We moved up to Oman after that!

As to the tires and other things they were in short supply. We used what ever we could get our hands on.

Look at Flicker and check on '' Oman '' you will see the Bedford RL Recovery on single sand tyres all round.

John Mc Cargo

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone identify and explain this insignia found in a couple of places on the truck please? It is just a tatty sticker and about to get removed, I'm not sure if it merits reinstating after vehicle is painted.

There's a Landrover on eBay at the moment with the same insignia on. The ad claims it's the markings of the 1st East Anglian Regiment (Royal Norfolk and Suffolk) (though it's not a genuine military Landy).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1949-Land-Rover-Series-1-Lights-behind-grill-/121346787727

Edited by Sean N

• 7 months later...

I have these on my RL also but don't seem to be able to find out what they are, Hopefully someone will be able to tell us, Cheers.

Dear All.

I am making a model of the Accurate Armours Bedford RL Wrecker (1/35th scale) and I am stuck for some decent photos of the rear body, I have got some from this site, but realy would like a diagram if possible of the top view of the rear body layout, does any one have a workshop manual for this vehicle which might have some good photos of the rear body work, that they could send me copies of please.

Regards from

Dizzy-t

There is a picture of the rear body taken from above in "The Green Machine" That might help

• 4 weeks later...