AJs 16m 1948

Luke

Ok so if I was to start a project this would be it! I found one in some classifieds for £1750 doubt ill raise the funds before it goes but I think its a really sexy bike. dunno if this is a good price of not or how hard parts would be to track down. I did have a little scout around last night but didn't turn up alot but it was just a quick scout. Would it be difficult to find parts for this particular bike?

thanks in advance

37 views and nobody's got any information :'( somebody out there must know something have I put this question in the wrong place or not been specific enough I've emailed the bloke this is what he said about it

(hello. not seized, the crank was supposed to have been done some years ago at the start of the strip down, but dont hold me to it. it is loosely assembled for show.. it def needs a valve guide, prob piston rings. only half the carb is there. the drive and mag drive internals are loose in a box. all welds good, no rot. what chrome there is needs redoing. mag is good ive tested it with a drill and it sparks. all cleaned and primed so the dirty work done. come have a look.)

I'd would really like this as a first project im in love with it but I'd like to know if the price is right as I'm not very clued up thanks

luke :)

Well since you ask Luke. You probably are in the wrong place. I don't think there is anything about this AJS that is military. A picture or a link to the sellers advert would help. I'm guessing it's a very similar bike to AMC's wartime Matchless G3L, which was about the most liveliest Brit WD bike produced through the war years. Also the only one with Tele forks, which made them the most favoured with DR's. Parts are readily available from firms like http://www.amcclassicspares.com and lots of information from http://archives.jampot.dk/

Ron

G3L 022.jpg

Edited by Ron

Well since you ask Luke. You probably are in the wrong place. I don't think there is anything about this AJS that is military. A picture or a link to the sellers advert would help. I'm guessing it's a very similar bike to AMC's wartime Matchless G3L, which was about the most liveliest Brit WD bike produced through the war years. Also the only one with Tele forks, which made them the most favoured with DR's. Parts are readily available from firms like www.amcclassicspares.com and lots of information from http://archives.jampot.dk/

Ron

hi ron

ah that would make sense now one does feel a bit silly :/ I also wasn't sure about putting links up so thanks for telling me :) maybe i should just pipe down n stick to making tarps ;)

the picture of the AMC does look very similar very sexy!! is it yours?! maybe I should go for one of those then i would be in the right place :)

thanks luke :)

Ron's absolutely right of course. A WD motorcycle is far and away the most useable of wartime vehicles, probably more so than the civilian equivalent and an ideal way of combining two interests.

Is it this bike that you're looking at ?

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106410187/ajs-16m-1948.html

I wouldn't consider it 95% complete at all and parts like the mudguards don't look useable. The big lumps like engine, frame and fuel tank are easily found for post-war bikes but the parts missing here are where the expense will be and what you get will be knackered. I wouldn't take on one as incomplete as this for a first restoration. You should be able to find a complete good runner for less than £3000 (and believe me, this one will take a lot more than £1000 to make anything more than an unreliable field bike out of it).

For some reason, post-war AMC singles are a bit undervalued. A good one is a nice bike though. Parts availability is pretty good for a sixty year old vehicle but don't go thinking that you can find all the right tinware for each model year direct on the shelves. Autojumbles will become a way of life.

Yes it is mine Luke. I agree! Find a WD G3L and join us for the big one in 2014.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1243958&cmd=show

well if I get one in time and get it restored I just might do that ron but we will see need to get business goin first but as soon as ive got the funds I'm definitely gonna get a project and this does look like it could be the one for me. :)

Ron

Ron's absolutely right of course. A WD motorcycle is far and away the most useable of wartime vehicles, probably more so than the civilian equivalent and an ideal way of combining two interests.

Is it this bike that you're looking at ?

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106410187/ajs-16m-1948.html

I wouldn't consider it 95% complete at all and parts like the mudguards don't look useable. The big lumps like engine, frame and fuel tank are easily found for post-war bikes but the parts missing here are where the expense will be and what you get will be knackered. I wouldn't take on one as incomplete as this for a first restoration. You should be able to find a complete good runner for less than £3000 (and believe me, this one will take a lot more than £1000 to make anything more than an unreliable field bike out of it).

For some reason, post-war AMC singles are a bit undervalued. A good one is a nice bike though. Parts availability is pretty good for a sixty year old vehicle but don't go thinking that you can find all the right tinware for each model year direct on the shelves. Autojumbles will become a way of life.

It is that one haha I would have put a link to the ad in the first post but some forums are a little funny with that so I left it out :) but this is the sort of info I was looking for thanks ill keep shopping around till I find something :) i kinda like rummaging at jumbles anyway so that shouldn't be a problem :) thanks 79x100

Edited by Luke