Pye westminster

hardyferret

I know these were fitted in 70's to pig's etc what other vehicles had them, or was it dependant on local command etc.

Have picked a nice clean set up off ebay, and would like to fit to my Rover 1 did this happen ? I think i've heard of it.

Also has anyone (Clive??) got info on the westminster

Regards Hardyferret :-D

I know these were fitted in 70's to pig's etc what other vehicles had them, or was it dependant on local command etc.

Have picked a nice clean set up off ebay, and would like to fit to my Rover 1 did this happen ? I think i've heard of it.

Also has anyone (Clive??) got info on the westminster

Regards Hardyferret :-D

I've got the civy workshop manuals & some EMERs for various Westminsters. But is it AM or FM, HI band or LOW band, dash mount - I assume but there was a boot mount. You should have asked me I have about 6 Westminsters of various sorts.

Unless you are going for NI set up I doubt if a LtWt would have Westminsters. Pigs definitely had as there was an EMER issued. There is a very nice (IWM pic I think) of a Mk 1 pig ambulance being led out on patrol by a RM Rover 1 with red crosses being driven by a padre. The pig has an aerial but the Rover seems not to be equipped.

As Clive

has said, things wessies were limited to NI in general. Some were fitted to Mk8s, but I would have thought all Mk 1 would have been long of service by then.

RAF used wessies, for airfields. These would have been high band AM, but again bit to late for Mk1 rover.

If you want a radio for a RAF Mk1 I have a dash mounted vanguard, that I removed from a RAF fire engine (work). I may have a mounting for it, and the correct antenna etc. But it's the size of a small suitcase and have VALVES!

Brain not working this morning, forget all the above! I thought you were talking about Rover 1/4 ton Mk1 :whistle:

If it's a Rover 1/2 ton Mk1, yes we fitted wessies to RAF airfield vehicles. Dash mounted high band AM, with antenna on off side wing.

For not RAF use a version of the wessie, was fitted as part of MOULD. but these were boot mount with the remote control operating at least two radios.

Far more common to see in the staff car (mainly London), and MP vehicle fleet. A mix of dash and boot mountings as required. Some even had remote controls in place of the radio/cassete player, which looked like a radio/cassete. These were for covert users, and included antennas built into wing mirrors!

Seem me a PM and Will try and dig out the books at work and copy any relevent bits for you. Do you have a mounting frame, power lead, military type mic etc?

Andy