75mm Pack Howitzer Restoration pictures

Hi all,

Here some pictures of my 2nd Pack restoration, some major parts were missing, but have located most of the items now, together with some new fabrication of Top Sleighs, I hope to finish this the coming year (unless someone else wants to finish it, it might be for sale for the right amount!)

Have no pictures of the thing together, but here's some rusty stuff:

17072009405.jpg

Trail:

06112011089.jpg

Wheels and hubs:

29112011216.jpg

03122011238.jpg

WP_000509.jpg

Carriage end, and dividing mechanism:

28102011056.jpg

Data plate:

28102011054.jpg

Elevating Mechanism:

WP_000545.jpg

WP_000573.jpg

One of the 2 Equilibrator springs:

WP_000489.jpg

Cradle locking mechanism:

WP_000486.jpg

After missing the sight in Nomandy I found another, thanks Tim!!:

WP_000033.jpg

Finally the newly cast top sleighs, just some machining to do!!

RIMG0066.JPG

Will have to buy a real camera, instead of using my phone all the time! (sorry for the bad quality pics!)

So now everyone can sort of see how this Howitzer is built up from the various parts.

And here the complete thing (my first one) Brit. modified:

HPIM00031.JPG

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

duals.jpg

Nice work on that, but I was surprised to see those wheel rims - are they original to that weapon?

Those rims were specially made for the rear of the 1941-47 Dodge WD20 and WD21 one ton civilian trucks, where the bevels on every other lug hole allowed them to lock together when used as duals - they have a slightly larger offset than the standard rim. They are really quite rare. The standard wheel that came all round on that truck when it wasn't on dual rears had less offset, no locking bevels, and would take a slightly wider tyre.

Hi Gordon,

Know about the Dodge wheels, but they have a different offset I believe, mine were N.O.S. and came with the hubs and even a lable attached to it, so 100% right for the Pack Howitzer.

afbeelding_3462.jpg

29112011220.jpg

086_SNL_C20.jpg

Here a picture of some similar wheels I didn't buy some years back, should have done, but that's too late now!

Packwhl_no_wrong_offset.JPG

Thanks,

Lex

Most interesting photographs, many thanks.

What are the Top Sleigh castings on the pallet for please?

John.

Hello John,

Only one is needed, but it was just as expensive to have 5 cast! (the rest will be for sale) it goes on top of the barrell, and locks into place, and keeps the barrel tight on the bottom sleigh.

Pack_at_home_in_M1_config_towing_mode_01_JPG.jpg

Hope that explains it?

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks for that . Didn't know International used the same setup on dual lies but it makes sense I suppose.

Got an image of the mounting face of the hub ? I suppose three ( or all six ) of the mounting stud faces must have recesses machined for those bevels?

I seem yo remember that the seller said he thought they were for International, but he wasn't sure! let me know if you find out one way or the other.

Heres a shot of the hubs, they have a recess on all 6 studs, so no special care has to be take to fit them, the good thing also is you can lessen the width of the piece, by reversing the wheels, so the thing takes up less space when it's in the living room!

WP_000506.jpg

The other picture with the wood spoke wheels is the "early" style wheel, used upto 1941, there's just a plain bronze bushing, no bearings, so not really for towing behind the jeep!!

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
Spelling

• 9 months later...

Hmm, note that the hub and drum both have C prefixes for Chrysler parts, even although the rims would be Budd ( I think ) and the lock rings I seem to recall were firestone.

The offset and the bevels are the giveaway as on Dodges they are unique to the WD20 / 21 On the other hand the world is full of the ordinary WD20/21 rims, less bevels, and with smaller offset, if you know anyone that is stuck for rims...

Hi Guys, I'm half way through the restoration of a 75mm and need a couple of parts . I need an extractor and a firing mech. The gun is live and I hope to fire blank at some point with it . I have just sent most of it off for sand blasting. Here is an image of the breach ring so you can see the type etc .TTFN Shaun

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice restoration on No. 1....... did you decide what to do with project No.2......... Regards

Hi there, nothing much happened with the restoration, but will get on with it in the winter, it might still be for sale, but the financial need is not to great anymore.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Guys, I'm half way through the restoration of a 75mm and need a couple of parts . I need an extractor and a firing mech. The gun is live and I hope to fire blank at some point with it . I have just sent most of it off for sand blasting. Here is an image of the breach ring so you can see the type etc .TTFN Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Nice to see another one being restored! assume you're in the US? can you let me have your carriage number too for my database please??

Your Watervliet Arsenal number is close to one of mine, 4769 my inspectors initials are AGG, cannot read yours clearly?? the only two WVT numbers on my list!

Grtz,

Alex Schmidt

Edited by welbike

Hi Alex , got the 75 back from the blasters today, so here are some more if the numbers etc for you ..

TTFN

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Nice to see another one being restored! assume you're in the US? can you let me have your carriage number too for my database please??

Your Watervliet Arsenal number is close to one of mine, 4769 my inspectors initials are AGG, cannot read yours clearly?? the only two WVT numbers on my list!

Grtz,

Alex Schmidt

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by shaun

• 1 month later...

Shaun

I'm looking at getting some new extractors made.

I need 1 for my second pack howitzer and want a spare as well.

Please let me know how many you want (should be one on the gun and one in the spares kit) so I can get the job quoted.

Cheers

Tim

• 6 months later...

As I mentioned further up, the rim is the six lug Budd rim with offset and bevels for use as rear duals on a truck around the one ton class.

They were the standard rear dual rim on the Dodge WD21 series one ton, 1941-47. The ordinary rim for that truck, when dual rears weren't required, looks pretty much the same except it doesn't have the locking bevels and has less offset. Neither type of rim is that common and the locking dual type is quite difficult to find.

The Budd lock rings are standard, and will interchange with any Dodge half ton military WC or any Dodge one ton from 1939-47

Sorry, no. I have both types here but got a use for them.

I really just wanted to give you a handle on the sources. There is a 39-47 Dodge Group on Yahoo, and various Dodge Fora, though as I mentioned the rear duals weren't that common and just appeared on civilian trucks. I have no evidence that the dual rears were ever used on military trucks.

Someone else did point out that they were probably used on the back of similar trucks from other manufacturers too, International, Chev, etc.

If you have an original in poor order, there would be no reason not to cut the centre out it and weld it into a Dodge WC half ton outer rim and ring at the right offset, should work.

The difference is all in the centre plate with six holes and bevels, plus located on a different offset.

Alternatively you could take some of the more common Dodge one ton six lug rims, cut, move and reweld the centre plate, and just fabricate / machine the bevels.