38 BP 92-S/O FAR EAST LAND FORCES CENSUS RETURN 31 OCT 64

39 BP 02-S/O RUDDINGTON 15 MAY 63

39 BP 95-S/O FAR EAST LAND FORCES CENSUS RETURN 30 JUNE 64

41 BP 70-S/O EAST AFRICA CENSUS RETURN 31 MARCH 64

41 BP 91-S/O MALTA CENSUS RETURN 28 FEB 63

42 BP 09-S/O RUDDINGTON 26 AUG 63

THIS INDICATES THAT ALL THESE VEHICLES WERE ALLOCATED TO SAME UNIT ON 8

NOV 54. THE UNIT WAS LATER POSTED OVERSEAS; POSSIBLY MIDDLE EAST LAND

FORCES AS YOU HAVE FOUND DESERT COLOUR ON YOUR VEHICLE.

AS TIME WENT ON, THE LAND ROVERS WERE TRANSFERRED TO OTHER UNITS AND

THEATRES OF OPERATION.

YOURS AND TWO OTHERS RETURNED TO THE UK.

red 38.jpg

7 minutes ago, Julien Chabin said:

That's correct and I thank you for the collaboration to discover the history of my Rover 8.

My problem is that B historical data Card says it was send in 1964 to Germany at the 14/20th KH as part of the BAOR. Then how can I explain the sandy desert colour!?

There is no markings appearing :((

Well, there are only three real choices: either my source which says 14/20H were in Libya in 1964 is wrong, or the detail on your B card is wrong, or you have mis-read it. 

Sometimes, a unit deploying abroad can leave behind a rear party - this regularly appears on B Cards as "R/Pty" or something similar.  I wouldn't have expected 14/20H to have a rear party left in Germany for three years, however, particularly as they didn't return to Germany but went to UK.  So, there has to be an error in the mix somewhere.

10 68

3 minutes ago, 10FM68 said:

Well, there are only three real choices: either my source which says 14/20H were in Libya in 1964 is wrong, or the detail on your B card is wrong, or you have mis-read it. 

Sometimes, a unit deploying abroad can leave behind a rear party - this regularly appears on B Cards as "R/Pty" or something similar.  I wouldn't have expected 14/20H to have a rear party left in Germany for three years, however, particularly as they didn't return to Germany but went to UK.  So, there has to be an error in the mix somewhere.

10 68

You are absolutely right about 14/20 being in Libya: it's not option 1. Do you mind if I send to you my B card in pm? That would eliminate option 3...

1 hour ago, Julien Chabin said:

You are absolutely right about 14/20 being in Libya: it's not option 1. Do you mind if I send to you my B card in pm? That would eliminate option 3...

Of course, you are most welcome.  I should be able to interpret most of it.

10 68

4 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

14/20H were in Wavell Bks Benghazi, Libya between late 62 and Dec 65, having previously been in Hohne West Germany.  They left Libya for Cachy Bks Perham Down from Jan 66.  While in Libya, A Sqn was detached to Cyprus, for a tour with UNFICYP in May - Nov 65.

10 68

Correct. They were also in Medenine Barracks, Tripoli. B-Sqn, definately Oct 1962 to perhaps Jan 1966. The first date is 100% correct, the leaving date is not verified, yet. They took over from Cyclops 2RTR. Saladins, Saracens, Ferrets, RLs, K9s, LRs, a Scammell Explorer 93BD96 and 20t trailer and, a few odds and ends. All lovely Light Stone - coloured, bearing the Barbary Dhow flash of Tripolitania whilst the other squadrons over in Cyrenaica bore the Cyrene Pillars flash of that District.

2 minutes ago, Fusilier said:

yes I am still looking in to the history thank you very much for the id of the markings do you have a pic of what it should look like ?

Alas, I don't have a picture of your LR but you must take solace from knowing it served in Tripolitania, certainly post-1957/8 with that formation flash and, perhaps earlier too if the formation flash was 10 Armd Division's or the earlier 25 Armd Brigade's 'left-facing standing white rhino on a black oval.

The Guards Brigade, 1 Inf Division served for quite some years in Tripoli/Zavia prior to the formation of 25 Armd Brigade in 1952, but I think that period up to 1952 may be too early for your vehicle.

I hope you solve the mystery!

14 hours ago, BlueBelle said:

Correct. They were also in Medenine Barracks, Tripoli. B-Sqn, definately Oct 1962 to perhaps Jan 1966. The first date is 100% correct, the leaving date is not verified, yet. They took over from Cyclops 2RTR. Saladins, Saracens, Ferrets, RLs, K9s, LRs, a Scammell Explorer 93BD96 and 20t trailer and, a few odds and ends. All lovely Light Stone - coloured, bearing the Barbary Dhow flash of Tripolitania whilst the other squadrons over in Cyrenaica bore the Cyrene Pillars flash of that District.

Dear Bluebelle your knowledge is amazing!

Do you think there is a chance to know if my 98EL86 was part of it?

IMG_1413.JPG

1 hour ago, Julien Chabin said:

Dear Bluebelle your knowledge is amazing!

Do you think there is a chance to know if my 98EL86 was part of it?

IMG_1413.JPG

I'm so sorry Julien, I don't have any amazing knowledge about your LR in Libya. Not even a photo.

It may be worth a try contacting The Hawks on their forum at:

http://www.1420h.org.uk/Forum/index.php

Good luck!

26 minutes ago, BlueBelle said:

I'm so sorry Julien, I don't have any amazing knowledge about your LR in Libya. Not even a photo.

It may be worth a try contacting The Hawks on their forum at:

http://www.1420h.org.uk/Forum/index.php

Good luck!

Don't be sorry please. You helped anyway! And a photo would have been just miraculous!

I keep chasing! And certainly will share results in the future

thanks for your wishes 

10 hours ago, BlueBelle said:

Alas, I don't have a picture of your LR but you must take solace from knowing it served in Tripolitania, certainly post-1957/8 with that formation flash and, perhaps earlier too if the formation flash was 10 Armd Division's or the earlier 25 Armd Brigade's 'left-facing standing white rhino on a black oval.

The Guards Brigade, 1 Inf Division served for quite some years in Tripoli/Zavia prior to the formation of 25 Armd Brigade in 1952, but I think that period up to 1952 may be too early for your vehicle.

I hope you solve the mystery!

Sorry I was unclear do you have a pic of .....A Tripolitania District formation flash, a Barbary dhow. Would it be the same as your profile pic? but with a red border?

10 hours ago, Fusilier said:

Sorry I was unclear do you have a pic of .....A Tripolitania District formation flash, a Barbary dhow. Would it be the same as your profile pic? but with a red border?

Plenty of photos of Barbary Dhows, NO red borders (as per my profile picture), here:

Edited by BlueBelle