Humber 4x4 PU

IMG_1247.jpgHi All

just thought i would post some photos of my 1942 Humber resto, well, its actually a 're resto' as it was 'thrown' together in the 1980's in what must have been a very hurried affair !

So, as most of us want to do things properly these days, i decided i needed to start again, so i stripped off all the 1980's work and took her back to the chassis.

She drove very well, and as some of you may recall, i drove her back from Northern Ireland in May 2011, all the way to Oxfordshire ! but as last year went on, i felt that things needed doing, for one thing she burnt far to much oil for my liking, so the engine was certainly going to need a rebuild, this was left in the very capable hands of Rex Ward, who after a nightmare of trying to source new engine spares finally managed to return me a 'zero timmed' engine in July this year.

Whilst this was happening i was busy stripping the rest of the vehicle and starting again. i also farmed out the canvas work to Rod Champkin of Classic Covers near Norwich who i have to say has made a cracking job, with real attention to detail, you will have to wait a while to pictures of this fitted !

The bigest job is of course rebuilding the rear PU back body, as the timber body put on in the 1980's was off some old truck.

i've ammassed most of the material for this but not started it yet, as i have beem concentrating on the front end.

so far i have rebuilt the steering unit, seats & mounts, doors, windscreen, radiator and much more. i have fitted most of the new wiring loom i had made by The Wiring Harness Company.

anyway here's a few photos and more as i progress.

Jules

Humber Belfast Docks 11.6.11.jpg

Humber July 12.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all

well now the weather has picked up and the evenings are lighter, i've made more progress on my Humber, earlier i restored the windscreen frame, and now i'm working on the rear PU body, some of it is original, but most of it i have made from plans and photographs.

this is were i am so far, though i have fitted the mud guards now.

Humber PU Body 1.JPG

Humber PU Body 2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jules,

The rear body looks great, as does the rest of the vehicle.

I am having many mini-dramas with my Box body and just about every other part needing something doing to it.

Anyway, I really want to know if you are going to restore those trestles the body is perched upon!

regards Andrew

Hi Jules,

What a lovely car to have...

You do a great job on your resto..

I was wondering what kind of makers are your headlamps and wich size..??

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Louis

Hi Louis

The head lamps are CAV ( have the round badge on top) BUT, they are mounted from the bottom, not trully right for the Humber, as Humber CAV Lights are mounted from two side 'stalks' i have one original, but looking for another. if i find one more the two on mine now will be spare.

Made some more good progress this week end, will up load some more pictures soon.

Jules.

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

Thats it for now, for those that noticed, she has gone from British Dark Green to Khaki Green, which is the correct colour for a 1942 British vehicle, i have yet to add the Dark Green cammo.

still have to finish the rear wiring, and a few other odds and ends, oh also the fit the Tool boxes and spare wheel ( between cab and body)

Jules

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Scott :- My dead line is to be ready for the Overlord show...............only 3 weeks away !!!

after that i hope to be at Evesham, and then W & P in July..............that's as far ahead as i have planned !

Alex :- Markings, well, not sure really, I was going to mark her as RAF, but i don't think the RAF actually used the PU version of the Humber ? unless anyone knows otherwise ?

other than that i'm not sure what unit to use.............any advise as to which units operated these Humber Personnel / Wireless trucks ?

Jules

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Scott :- My dead line is to be ready for the Overlord show...............only 3 weeks away !!!

after that i hope to be at Evesham, and then W & P in July..............that's as far ahead as i have planned !

Alex :- Markings, well, not sure really, I was going to mark her as RAF, but i don't think the RAF actually used the PU version of the Humber ? unless anyone knows otherwise ?

other than that i'm not sure what unit to use.............any advise as to which units operated these Humber Personnel / Wireless trucks ?

Jules

Excellent, I look forward to seeing it at all three events.

Scott

• 4 months later...