Leyland retriever from Australia

michael1703

I did a search on here before for the Leyland retriever that was for sale in Suffolk that had come from Australia, I found the advert but now cant find it and found a thread that had a picture of it at auction

Does anyone know anything about it?

I believed it came from the Wheatcroft collection but now doubt that as the body was slightly different on that one and believe it may be from a different Australian museum

Any leads appreciated

http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/af197/mpaclassics/Leyland%20Retriever/

2012473.jpg

I was at the auction in Newcastle, NSW and posted the photo of it there. Several years later, a chance phonecall regarding a Breakdown Gantry body, I found out that it was in Suffolk area. It had been advertised several times. I do remember the sellers name but will not post it here. Send me a PM and I will pass it on, also I know the UK dealer who was bidding at the auction and seem to recollect him telling me some years later that he brought it over.

The one you picture is definitely the one and it has an Australian workshop body mounted on it probably off a Ford F60L or Chev C60L.

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

The differences between what I thought was this truck in a picture and this truck is that this body has a cut out which has been like that for some time.

The one pictured at a sale had no cutout, whereas this one has a cut out with about 15 years of rust in it and its been in suffolk for at least ten years if not 12

The cutout is also in the wrong place, single axle cutout

2012475.jpg

The differences between what I thought was this truck in a picture and this truck is that this body has a cut out which has been like that for some time.

The one pictured at a sale had no cutout, whereas this one has a cut out with about 15 years of rust in it and its been in suffolk for at least ten years if not 12

The cutout is also in the wrong place, single axle cutout

Hi Michael,

As I said in a previous post, the body you show is an Australian workshop body of a 4x4. I have my photo taken at the auction, in front of me, taken from same side, tyres are the same, it has the same bend in the chassis, and the body is the same one, although as you spotted it does not have the cut out. Looking at rest of the body it is the same and I reckon someone had put in some filler pieces in the cutouts to hide the fact it was off a 4 wheeler, and they have since been removed. Even the lettering on the front is the same, no dispute, I see the radiator has been removed though.

Is it yours now?

regards, Richard

It belongs to a customer, the radiator was rotten, mainly aluminium powder but it came with a newly refurbished rad to fit but until I've rid the water jacket of all the debris it is not going on yet.

The brakes are being rebuilt, all wheel cylinder pistons were pitted so were turning up new pistons, weve got new flexi's and seal kits from powertrack brakes to go on,the water pump is just about to go back on as it was leaking and we should have it running with water pumping around it through a water butt and when its clean enough the rad will go on and then its off to be inspected to get a reg number.

I found your picture again with a bit of searching and you are correct, that cut out must have been a piece of timber painted green to fool museum visitors as it is a very integral part

Which museum is it from? was told wheatcroft collection but thought they had their auction a lot later than '96

here is your picture below in comparison

retrieveraustralianauction.jpg

2012475.jpg