Radiator Flush?

Lauren Child

Question

It's time to sort out the antifreeze in the trucks. I know the WOT could use a good flush as there's some greasy crud in the top (possibly radweld from a previous life - not sure) that I'd like to remove so I can see if there are any problems.

Can anyone recommend a good radiator flush product I could use before putting fresh antifreeze in?

25 answers to this question

It's time to sort out the antifreeze in the trucks. I know the WOT could use a good flush as there's some greasy crud in the top (possibly radweld from a previous life - not sure) that I'd like to remove so I can see if there are any problems.

Can anyone recommend a good radiator flush product I could use before putting fresh antifreeze in?

I have heard but never tried it that the detergent used in dish washers is the best as it is non foaming put it in when the motor is hot and run it for a while drain and flush with clean water a couple of times before putting in the anti freeze - Charlie

me old fruit just cause its cheap does not mean its not good :D unlike putting dishwasher cleaner in your mv! for best antifreeze protection a 70 percent antifreeze /water is ideal, increasing level of anti freeze above that will raise freezing point of mix considerably this applies to mono ethylene glycol.

Edited by griff66

me old fruit just cause its cheap does not mean its not good :D unlike putting dishwasher cleaner in your mv! for best antifreeze protection a 70 percent antifreeze /water is ideal, increasing level of anti freeze above that will raise freezing point of mix considerably this applies to mono ethylene glycol.

Well I wouldn't want to risk the cut price stuff in my engines, ...I value them too much.

Having a cracked block would not be much consolation for saving a couple of quid however much I was told they were the same quality.

I've had some success washing motorbike bits in dishwasher liquid before, so that's actually not a bad idea though you'd need to make sure it had a good rinse away. I'd be tempted for the radiator where you can give it a good rinse, but inside the engine could be a bit more problematic.

QUOTE=griff66;341158]why would anyone take the risk of using any of the above and not use a propriety rad flush???? thought dish washer cleaner has salt in it for example!

Compared to many chemicals in propritory stuff salt is harmless! :D Besdies if you think about it, a dish washer tablet is designed to work in a metal machine with items used for food for human consumption. Check the ingredients of most cleaning products you'll find a surfacant to keep the muck in suspension and a chemical to release oxygen. I alwyas use water from a de-humidifier for my cooling system. The old manuals recommend rain water.

i hear some people use coke cola for cleaning parts that might be good for cooling systems :D

My other half has recently given up drinking fizzy drinks after some rather painful dentistry. I think she me think I was taking the mickey if I got her favourite in and tipped it into the truck :)

Why use dishwasher tablets when radflush or soda crystals are freely available? Would you put radflush in your dishwasher?:???:???

With me and number one son's oily overalls, I may well try it in the washing machine! :-D Back on topic, there are a number of Biological Radiator flushes available now. They seem to work extremley well. A friend used one of this type on a Nissan Bluebird that had coolant looking more like Black treacle, after a couple of hours the water was coming out clear. I'm now desperatley trying to remember the name of the product (NO Degsy, not Areil!) They also do a helpful web site.

Forte, thaa's the manufacturer!http://www.problemwithavehicle.com/

Edited by Tony B
found product

With me and number one son's oily overalls, I may well try it in the washing machine! :-D Back on topic, there are a number of Biological Radiator flushes available now. They seem to work extremley well. A friend used one of this type on a Nissan Bluebird that had coolant looking more like Black treacle, after a couple of hours the water was coming out clear. I'm now desperatley trying to remember the name of the product (NO Degsy, not Areil!) They also do a helpful web site.

Forte, thaa's the manufacturer!http://www.problemwithavehicle.com/

That's handy - I'm wondering if that Bio stuff will remove the greasy substance as it says it's a degreaser.