Range wrecks

plainmilitary

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eddy,

its been re-schedualed for the August bank holiday...check the future events forum

Ashley

What happened fella's ,did the trip to the plain come off or did the idea die a death.i'd like to go if it was still possible,does anyone else feel the same.

brilliant thread by the way,really fascinating.thanks

eddy

I'm not a knowledge in this field at all, but have just read with great interest and thought I might have a look to see what Google Earth had to offer on Salisbury, It wasn't in high enough res to show any vehicles but this is some of what is clearly visable :schocked:

Salisbury1.jpg

Salisbury2.jpg

Salisbury3.jpg

Salisbury4.jpg

Pics don't show and copy and paste don't work for me either.

Edited by Marmite!!
photo links repaired

• 1 month later...
Nice video! That must be close target op aka Bombard.

Yes, it's in the OP but can't remember the name of it, Bustard OP or Bombard OP or something similar, it's a big bunker covered in railway sleeper with armoured viewing hatches so you can see out, we went in it during Afghan training.

Jack click on the mass of text not the new pics link.

Tony

I tried clicking on the text, my cursor just changes to the text input cursor, and highlights the block of text....:-(

• 3 weeks later...
I'm surprised it still has a co-drivers hatch on it.

Which makes me think..... do range wrecks still play an important part in spares for restoration projects, following Adrians restoration projects (both Adrians!) many parts seem to be NOS, presumably it is the more unusual and 'bulky' parts that were never stocked as spares which are difficult to find. Thinking about it as I write this I imagine that there are no hard and fast rules as far as availability goes.

PS. Who is bringing the #3 Sherman listed on the A&E website? And what model is it going to be? I presume the other two are Adrians M4A4 and Jims M4A4(t)*

*I know it isn't really an M4A4(t) but it sounds good and sort of follows the same ethos:)

Less so than they used to, primarily because of difficult access and diminishing availability. I could not have restored my Sherman without range parts, disregarding the fact that the vehicle itself came from one! Although some parts were not good enough to use, they provided excellent patterns when they were the only source of information available to me.

As you point out, you get what you can, when you can. Things like engine decks, hatches and mantlets never seemed to turn up as spares for obvious reasons so these are usually found from ranges or made as required.

I think the third Sherman is an M4A1(76) that is often at Beltring hiding under a bush...... My multibank will be a dissenting voice amongst all those radials! Nine cylinders...pah!

Edited by Adrian Barrell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...