Afvr midhope range

dave thorpe

Hi I'm Dave Thorpe as part of my duties as a part time Peak Park Ranger working out of Langsett I cover the above Ranges, there are moves afoot to record permanently the history of the range. Various artifacts have been found including a Whickam ( is this the correct spelling?) trailer, the entrances to the command bunkers & bases for either searchlights or AA guns. I am interested in reports on this forum about a buried Covenantor tank ( fromSteveo 578) can anyone shed any light on this? or any other info on AFVR Midhope - many thanks Dave aka TheLangsettWanderer

hi welcome to the forum dave do you mean the moors top side of sheffield if so im on my way with the metal detector and shovel , ;)

Be careful with that shovel MW. I've come across the odd mortar shell when walking around Langsett!!

Dave- Welcome to the forum

a forum member dug up 6 covenanters a few years back from a range in the west country but nobody wanted them as they were considered beyond hope and all 6 went to the scrapper, how things have changed since then.

hope you find the one you are looking for.

rick

ps. welcome to the forum

:-D it just occurred to me where langsett reservoir is. i dragged the family round there last year on the pretence of a family walk but really i was looking for evidence/ tank parts from the old range. didn't find anything but it was a lovely walk. bout time i went back i think ;)

rick

Be careful with that shovel MW. I've come across the odd mortar shell when walking around Langsett!!

Dave- Welcome to the forum

31 SHELLS WERE LOCATED IN A JOINT OP BY BOMB SQUAD & MOUNTAIN RESCUE (WOODHEAD TEAM see their web page) 4 deemed live & blown up if I remember correctly 6 weeks ago - one hole can be seen 50metres west of Cut Gate track by the first large cairn as you have started on Cut Gate. Also check out Ian Winterburns website - everythingoutdoors

I was taken to the location of the Covenanter in the mid 1990's. I took a photograph but at the moment I don't know where it is. I will see what I can find..........

Hi Bob even a half remembered location may help - 3 of us going up today as we are on duty to see what we can find

If youre feeling energetic cut gate is an awesome mountain bike ride...hadnt realised there were AFV's up there will keep my eyes peeled in future. Had heard that North America Farm was used for mortar practice in war so that would tally with the uxb's I guess...

hi dave any luck very intrested as being local ! :-)

Nothing definate re buried tank but looked at supposed location of bren gun carrier -in the middle of a pool. Noted locations of catenary supports for anti aircraft wires plus weights that we have walked past & never noticed in the undergrowth in the woods outside Upper Midhope. Had another look at the remains of the entrance to a command bunker - there is another one somewhere further up that you can get a camera in - check out Ian Winterburns site everythingoutdoors

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...