Jeep Oil Filter

Mark

Question

7 answers to this question

Guest JeepJockey

Mark,

Had the same idea myself a few weeks back, tried cleaning the filter cartridge in parafin, but honestly not worth the palaver (inside the cartridge is the paper filter, I took it apart to see what was there). Brought new one in the end £8.00 from Dallas Autos, I did'nt know how long it had been in there so worth the small investment after an oil change.

Regards,

Paul

I never use the filter anyway, its a crap system, being a bypass and not a full flow filter. The inlet is tapped off the No.1 journal so reducing pressure to it if it is working. Best thing is to put a small ball bearing in the inlet connection, do it up, and change the oil once a year. Better oil pressure to front bearing - No need to buy a new element, and no one knows the difference! I have had this in my jeep for 10 years now, and no ill effects.

Guest JeepJockey

Likewise I have read that closing the inlet pipe to the oil filter with a small ball bearing does increase oil pressure to front bearing which can under certain circumstances run a little dry and eventually causing wear. However this is very reliant on a oil change every year (which you should undertake in anycase). Myself, I would rather run it as it was supposed to run and filter out the sludge, I liken it to those owners who swear by electronic ignition, it's just not cricket is it? :nono:

My first ever oil change on the jeep proved how well the oil filter had been working over the years removing a good hand full of metallic sludge, albeit now my regular servicing isn't so satisfying. :tup:

DON'T FORGET Jeep owners that the air filter requires an oil bath in it's base, whilst this is meant to filter out dust from sandy environments, I have found that it also helps to remove moisture from the air intake. :idea:

Regards,

Paul