1940 bsa m20

MHillyard

I'm not a BSA man, but that one will probably fit. It is however a post-war body (with the open area under the dynamo rather than a full support as per earlier production).

I'd want to see a photo of the underside as they can wear badly if run with the retaining strap loose and condensors do fail with age, even if unused so it's not ideal to have one built up some time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i bought a new Magneto and Dynamo so hopefully progression will start again soon.

Today i removed the old dynamo, it really does look round and has been modified and has had bits removed replaced everywhere.

I removed the timing cover as to remove the magneto from the drive. I bought an extractor tool but it wasnt necessary as the fitting was loose and i could undo it with my fingers.

Behind the cog i found there is no oil seal which of course is essential. Is EBay the best place to buy one of these or is there a better supplier.

A ball bearing also fell out when i removed the cover, i assume it goes on the small thin pipe that comes up from the cover.

Below are a couple of photos (better quality ones will follow)

Photo0383.jpg

Photo0386.jpg

Edited by MHillyard

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since an update but nothing much has really been done. Its been a tad cold lately so i have not been up to going out and doing much work. Instead i have been collecting parts together and getting all the info i can find.

I bought a new Regulator, Magneto, Cable, Handlebar lever for Mag. Also a BSA manual and a general book on mid centurary BSAs which looks very useful.

Also done a bit of reseach in oils, am i right in thinking that i should use mineral SAE40 without detergent for everything. Unless anyone has diferent views?

DSC07179_zps36c80cb5.jpg

• 8 months later...

Been a while since I last worked on the BSA as the area it was kept in was not practical enough to undertake proper work. Now it is in a larger workshop where I can finally get a good run at it.

Replaced the broken twist grip, added some new rubber grips, managed to undo the gearbox filler cap so the oil tank, battery holder and toolbox are back on the frame. Just drained the oil and replaced the sump gaskets.

20131015_160155_zps7a1176b3.jpg

20131015_160121_zps6b208582.jpg

20131023_161218_zpsc55c541c.jpg

20131015_161317_zps5065ce07.jpg

20131023_161202_zps4996c58d.jpg

I use Castrol GP50 in my M20, it is good tried and tested stuff for in air cooled engines of this type. Morris lubricants are good but on long term usage I prefer Castrol in my old bikes. Don't put anything with Hypoid or EP in your gearbox, just the same 'straight' oil. I use the same in the primary chaincase except I mix it 50/50 with some 'liquid' grease, it seems less inclined to leak out. I do know of riders who do the same for in the gearbox without problems - but never just straight liquid grease as there is a feeling that it doesn't necessarily penetrate all of the innermost nooks and crannies. Some bike gearboxes were designed for a grease filling but not this one.The thicker oil, and mix, can make for a slower change on the box to start with but once fully warmed up is much better. Don't use any multigrades and definitely don't use anything like GTX which is definitely for water cooled cars and so on, but I'm sure you've gleaned this anyway. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Been spending the weekend on the bike. Got it started a couple of times for around 30secs. The last times I got a fuel leak and resealed the joints and I havent been able to start it since. Wilk have another go tomorrow. Feeling strain tonight from all that kicking over!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been having some trouble trying to get it idling so decided to give that a break for now and try and sort out the wiring. At the moment the Tail light (inc. brake light) works but constantly flickers when running. The headlamp doesn't work at all (have checked the bulb).

Looking at the wiring to the switch I can't seem to make any sense of it in relation to any wiring diagram. It seems to be a mix up of two different wiring diagrams I have seen. Just deciding whether to start from scratch or try to amend something.

20140108_165642.jpg

20140108_165602.jpg

Definitely getting there.

This afternoon I got the electrics working correctly and also finally got it idling.

Next to test riding :shocked:

There is a chance I may be going to Normandy but not certain about this yet. Still plenty to do before then!

20140113_152615.jpg

20140113_152621.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hadn't realized how long it had been since I updated this!

Lots has been done over the past year and yesterday I took it on its first ride on the road!

Great fun to ride

A few problems occurred, oil pump seems to be very weak now meaning a lot of oil is blown out of the breather also the gearbox is still a bit twitchy when changing up to 3rd, it's not keen on engaging properly, i have had the gearbox apart before as 3rd would not engage at all previously but it seems what i have done was not enough.

Other than that it was fine, hope to sort the oil pump over the week and will wait and see on the gearbox, hoping to get some spares for it in and swap and change a lot of the worn gears to make a decent gearbox

DSC_0352.JPG

Been working on the oil pump issue over the week, nothing obviously found wrong but a good excuse to clean everything up. I have never has the oil pump apart so was good to inspect it so hopefully it will not cause any grief in the future. Also it was an excuse to change the oil, quite a lot of thick oil and debris in the oil tank so that has been removed and thoroughly cleaned. The gearbox is a lot easier to access with the oil tank off so debating doing that now before I put everything back together.

DSC_0363.JPG

DSC_0360.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...