kettenkrad replica project

Lee perry

hello this is my first post on the forum (i think) even though i have been on here for months :) this is my kettenkrad replica i have been working on over the past couple of months. The picture is a old one i have done a few other things to it since this but i havent had much time to do work on it because of school but this is what i have done so far.its going to runoff a electric wheel chair motor on 24 volts and run on metal tracks i found at the scrap yard of some old farm conveyor belt.

from Lee

kettenkrad 1.jpg

kettenkrad big.jpg

KettenKrad 1.jpg

:thumbsup: Well Lee, you've made a good start there, will be interested in your tracks when you get round to them, I spent ages trying to design some cheap workable tracks for Rugged Robin, gave up took the easy option and bought some, but I suspect that is not an option for you.

Are those your track links in the background? If so I'm afraid you may have to re-think your power pack and gearing, tracks like that need a lot of power just to keep rolling, even a massive 30+ HP :shocked: was not enough for me until I radically lowered the gearing.

Best thing about projects like yours is that the grin :-D:-D:-D per £ ratio is so much higher than messing about restoring tanks and such, good luck with it and keep us posted..

:thumbsup: Well Lee, you've made a good start there, will be interested in your tracks when you get round to them, I spent ages trying to design some cheap workable tracks for Rugged Robin, gave up took the easy option and bought some, but I suspect that is not an option for you.

Are those your track links in the background? If so I'm afraid you may have to re-think your power pack and gearing, tracks like that need a lot of power just to keep rolling, even a massive 30+ HP :shocked: was not enough for me until I radically lowered the gearing.

Best thing about projects like yours is that the grin :-D:-D:-D per £ ratio is so much higher than messing about restoring tanks and such, good luck with it and keep us posted..

yes those are my tracks iam going to be using i will take some pictures of them there made of cast iron and iam going to put 2 together to make them bigger

i made a little diagram of how my tracks will be set out

kettenkrad track design.jpg

i hope it works if not i will have to try something els :) it will give the impression that the kettenkrad is running on the tracks but will really be only running on the frot and back 2 wheels

On a similar subject I was told once by a Sd Kfz 2 Kettenkrad owner that there were people making parts for these vehicles and it was now possible to make a complete one without it containing very much or even anything of an original WW2 vehicle, as the engine was built postwar. Some I'm told were made postwar for forrestry use.

When you can buy a complete replica Kubelwagens at W&P that have not been built off an everyday VW Beetle, I'm surprised no one has thought to start a small run of these Kettenkrads. After all you wouldn't be driving them on the road so they could just be for fun / re-enacting.

Keep up the good work

On a similar subject I was told once by a Sd Kfz 2 Kettenkrad owner that there were people making parts for these vehicles and it was now possible to make a complete one without it containing very much or even anything of an original WW2 vehicle, as the engine was built postwar. Some I'm told were made postwar for forrestry use.

When you can buy a complete replica Kubelwagens at W&P that have not been built off an everyday VW Beetle, I'm surprised no one has thought to start a small run of these Kettenkrads. After all you wouldn't be driving them on the road so they could just be for fun / re-enacting.

Keep up the good work

There is one person in england who made a exact replica of a kettenkrad from wood and you really couldent tell the difference unless you look really closely. there is a company in america called Tankco who have started makeing near replicas of kettenkrads and there pritty good :)

• 5 months later...

Hello again, I havent done an update on this project for a long time beacus ei ahvent had the time or the motavation to get on with it. But I have done some more work mostly to the front im still trying to sort out how its going to be powered but I think the best solution is going to be a garden tractor engine,gear box and axel beacuse they have a reavers gear and should have engough power to move it along. The next problem is going to be finding the garden tractor to rob the parts from :)

kettenkrad small.jpg

• 2 months later...

For anyone whos interested heres an update on my kettenkrad. Ive covered the front wheel so its now solid but there are still some details to put on it. Ive started the back thingy and attached all the seats.Me and dad are currently thinking about how to do the tracks.I might start putting the engine in this weekend if i have time, its a 12.5hp engine with a forward reverse thing on it so when you push the lever forward it goes forward when you pull it back it goes back. The engine was fast when it was in the lawn mower so the kettenkrad should get some speed.Oh and the holes with are going around the top of the side pannels are going to be covered up :) I will try to get some pictures up at some point

just a suggestion....if you haven't already come up with an idea for your tracks???.

.....have a look at factory type production machinery ...either redundant in scrapyards or maybe even new from suppliers...many machines in factory production lines / brickworks / bottling plants etc etc use link type steel belts for various process's ...you may have to 'widen' something you find with welded on grousers or something similar but it may well be the 'lump' you need to get going with ????? :)