3HW Fire Extinguishers

agmerlin

Hello troups,

i was at the VMCC Founders day at Stanford Hall last month and there were quite a few military bikes about including WWII types. I noticed that some of them had old fashioned brass pump action type fire extinguishers mounted in various places on the bike and pannier frames. They did look very good but did that happen in reality? I,ve got one of those extinguishers and have thought about fitting it on my 3HW.

all the best

Andy

I have only ever seen it once so far in a wartime picture. It was on the bike of a sergeant instructor during motorcycle training. I wish I could remember where I saw it. It certainly wasn't normal practice. But one picture can give you a certain amount of artistic licence I suppose. Ron

I think extinguishers were definitely a post-war feature, and then on a unit or local level only.......

Often carried on instructors bikes to put out the frequent fires started by novices unused to the characteristics of starting a M20 or G3L..........:-D

And some wartime.....again, largely on instructional bikes..........the photo incidentally, is incorrectly captioned........the actual location is "Ceasars Camp".....a large hillock located on training ground to the west of Aldershot Garrison, only about a mile or two from the camp itself where many Canadian troops were based during the war..........the location today hasn't changed much save for a tad more foliage, but it is still very sandy underfoot....!!! 10 years ago this area was part of my working area..........Frensham Sands near Bordon Garrison is further away to the south west, but not by too many miles......

Edited by wdbikemad

Not the same occasion but possibly an earlier photo of the same chap at the same location. The bike looks a little newer and displays both a conventional and pannier type tool box which don't ever appear to have been officially fitted together. He's probably got a fire blanket in there.

A1940C4389999005.jpg