Aluminium ( silver) Paint.

David B.

Screwfix, Aluminium heat resistant paint, painted the inside of the Pig I had with it using a decent brush, looks just like the service equivalent, ages well and doesnt use exotic thinners, drying time isn't rocket quick like hammerite, so gives you time to work with it, dont jump in and drive straight away though, give it plenty of time to cure hard or your clothes land up silver!

...Even hammerite is water based now and not worth putting on externally anymore in my opinion.

At present the legislation does not cover the marine division so you maybe able to find some paint that is still oil/lead based in a ship chandlers shop or a friendly boatyard and try that? or you know of somewhere that can supply the old type of oil based paints.

Brucie

I bought a tin of smooth silver Hammerite a couple of weeks ago and it is definitely not water based, it has a high VOC label and the brush needs to be washed in hammerite solvent (or petrol ;) )

I found the silver version much easier to apply than the black, which is like painting with treacle.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone give me their experiences please or any recommendations for a source of Aluminium Paint to repaint an AFV (Dingo) engine bay.

A synthetic, brushing type would be preferable,with a degree of heat resistance.

Thanks.

David.

Hi David.

I'm new to the Military vehicle scene, but I've used 'Smooth Hammerite Siver' in part of my engine bay in my 'Saladin' and that gets a 'Tad !' Hot, and seems to be holding up ok.

Dan.

Hi David.

I'm new to the Military vehicle scene, but I've used 'Smooth Hammerite Siver' in part of my engine bay in my 'Saladin' and that gets a 'Tad !' Hot, and seems to be holding up ok.

Dan.

Thanks Dan - I used Hammerite in the end with good results. I was put off initially by previous experience with other Hammerite paints but this seems fine. The spray cans are also good in smooth silver and cover well.

Thanks also to all the other contributors.

David.

• 2 months later...