gear oil recomendations for a timken double reduction axle (ward lafrance)

Thats OK, John. Anything to help.

Yes, Richard, you are right. I did try to see the face of the washer, but am not sure whether I could see well enough.

This shows the 4 ton 6x6 Diamond T diff and clearly shows all steel thrust washers.

969 diff.JPG

Sam.

• 2 years later...
they changed the servicing schedules to substitute 140 for a Hypoid 90 in g/box and axles, except worm drives. I know for a fact that some of the assemblies had bronze in them and I have never come across any noticable damage. It could be the Hypoid oil (EP) at that time did not contain anything detrimental to "yellow" metals.

Just a quick follow up. I've just found the wartime spec for Hypoid 80 & 90. Part of the spec is "The oil is required to have no deleterious effect on copper strip at 212 degrees F", so that confirms that it was a spec that was compatible with yellow metal, and is different to modern EP80 & EP90.

There is no equivalence to an OEP oil listed for Hypoid 80 & 90.

It also states "Extension of Hypoid 90 is recommended, replacing C600 wherever possible in order to ease the supply position of the latter". It goes on to explain that there are supply difficulties, and it should be used wherever it doesn't leak due to being thinner, and that the oils must not be mixed.

So that explains the switch-over.