CVR(T)2s in the wild

plainmilitary

Amazing that they are doing new builds 40 years after cvrt first entered service. A lot of changes though from all accounts - drivers seat and foot controls raised to reduce risk of injury for one. Seems to be mixed reception on the Scimitar 2 but must be a lot better survivability wise. Agree with Chris re the looks. Also heard the handbrakes were struggling due to the extra weight and were being swapped for stormer - easy retro fit but a lot more leverage apparently.

My survivability would be significantly improved if I could just move the indicator switch...!

The gaps in the bar armour are deliberate. An RPG round either detonates away from the vehicle if the HEAT fuse strikes the armour, in which case the generated "plasma" blast is too far away to penetrate the vehicle itself, or more commonly the entire warhead catches between the bars, to be disposed of responsibly later when safe.

Interesting to see H17 appear to be taking out CVR(T)2s: it means that LD took the last tranche of newly-refurbished CVR(T)s out first when they were new a few years ago (have to consult to remind me exactly when) and will be the last to use them when they hand over at the end of H16.

The gaps in the bar armour are deliberate. An RPG round either detonates away from the vehicle if the HEAT fuse strikes the armour, in which case the generated "plasma" blast is too far away to penetrate the vehicle itself, or more commonly the entire warhead catches between the bars, to be disposed of responsibly later when safe.

Interesting to see H17 appear to be taking out CVR(T)2s: it means that LD took the last tranche of newly-refurbished CVR(T)s out first when they were new a few years ago (have to consult to remind me exactly when) and will be the last to use them when they hand over at the end of H16.

I think the idea is also that if detonation does occur the 'jet' is disrupted because the warhead is deformed and therefore does not have its full penetrative power.

Many thanks for the info everyone :D...

..Strange isn't it?......all these years after WW2 and we're still bolting extra stuff on the outside of a tank to 'beef up' the armour ...those old Shermans from back in WW2 with extra track links and railway sleepers and sandbags etc lashed to their hulls wouldn't look so out of place today in Afghanistan would they?? .....:-).......

...and ...eeerrrr :-\........I have to wonder....how much has been spent on research since then :cool2:.??

I think there have been problems with the hulls cracking and the aluminium armour delaminating on some of the older hulls. Probably wont make a difference to a restorer but you wouldnt want to go to war in one would you?

I think there have been problems with the hulls cracking and the aluminium armour delaminating on some of the older hulls. Probably wont make a difference to a restorer but you wouldnt want to go to war in one would you?

I have a vague recollection of a tale of a crew, possibly in 8RHA, 11 Armd Div, Normandy to the Baltic, discovering that their Priest self-propelled gun was in fact a prototype, constructed using mild steel and ought to have been nowhere near the business end of armoured warfare.

Istr the crew were offered a replacement vehicle when the error was discovered, but politely refused to let go of "their" Priest.

I could have dreamt it. Cannot be bothered to go away and check.