Folding canvas buckets

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Bucket on the pintle hook, I heard it was a signal that the driver was single, depending on which end of the vehicle you hung it dictated what gender you were looking for, front female & rear male or tother way round, I can't remember which way round it is so I don't hang one anywhere.

• 1 month later...

Back again. See i told you, but it seems that this only applied to the British Army. I was watching the "Colour of War" on Sky a couple of days ago and it showed an M8 with a canvas bucket dangling (in the extended position) from the back. Just having gotten a cavalry book for Christmas ("through these sights") i had a look in there and there was another M8 with an erect canvas bucket dangling from the back. Maybe it is just the cavalry, but i think that this shows that such a concern did not worry the US Army in WW2. Will get you a picture later on.

Tim (too)

After starting what must be one of the longest running, most viewed, politically incorrect topics i am pleased to say that i have the proof. Below is a picture of a WW2 M8 with a bucket dangling from the back.

Bucket-1.jpg

Not a tow hook i agree, but surely evidence enough that this practice was undertaken in the US Cavalry. I claim the prize which is a refurbished Carter Carb for a jeep (bet you all wished that you tried a little harder now). Thanks for everyones input on this, the world is now ever so slightly a less mysterious place.

Tim (too)

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That is interesting. I have never seen one as pink as that before. My 1950's WD one has gone green and a friend has a wartime WD one that is blue. The British seem to have a spectrum of colours while the Yanks just have tan. Now, what can we read into that.

Tim (too)

Gosh and there we go. Everyone was mocking the MVT's motions about cultural diversity, racial groups and sexual persuasion and here is the proof that HMVF is leading the way forwards with ethnic and sexual persuasion of our members. Fantastic stuff!

So another Tim. That makes you Tim number 4, or if you prefer you could be known as Tim For, or Tim Fore. Anything that makes you accusable of an inability to spell can not be bad.

Tim (too)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, time for another post to the topic that never runs out of interest. Please find below a picture of a beautifully restored WW1 Daimler lorry complete with painted bucket.

DSCN3844.jpg

I presume that the arrow is to indicate that it is WD property and the end of the bucket which is to be filled. I must admit to never having seen a picture of a WW1 British lorry with bucket, although it would be be quite useful.

Beautiful restoration. Well done Richard.

Tim (too)

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired

• 4 weeks later...