Morris LRC MK2

RMS

• 2 months later...

More progress has been made on the Morris :-)

Roof welded in completely and hatches test fitted.

I have made the turret ring and fitted it to the roof, needs to go the the machine shop for finishing off.

Pedals, master cylinder and steering box finally removed so the hull is ready for blasting. Removing the pedals was a real swine of a job as the mounts are welded in place and the pivot shafts are stepped so can't be removed!!! Very odd!

b80999e6da31dbb00c4a78e3de9e60e2.jpgd2d1f2a87df7b306a1fbf55ce937d7df.jpg5ced1628f53f1f2a3ca2794c6d6be7ae.jpg80294620b011af234b144665dfe79315.jpgc73bbf2c440e99ec85155a90a91d5a92.jpg

Also evidence of the original colour under the suspension mounts, olive drab which fits in nicely with the British paint colours of 1945,

e6b1cb37fb5ae6cc4ac5a4b3b197cc87.jpgb6e450679717f91599217f9ed51df377.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Well i sold my beloved Jeep after 13 years of fun and have bought a new toy to restore (once the bedford is done!)

Picked up the Morris today, it was well and truly buried at the far end of a 60ft garage in Portsmouth with 15 years of hoarded junk piled high around it! The guy i bought it from has had about 20 years but it has not seen daylight since entering the garage.

Its plate indicates that it was built in March 1945, its armour had been cut in the past probably when it was demob'd but has mostly been repaired quite well, all the hatches and doors have been made new (long time ago) and one side door is the original. lots of work to be done, the biggest job will be making the turret and the cooling fan drives.

my plan is to strip the brakes out so its easier to move then start collecting parts and pictures ready to start the work next summer, unless i get to excited!

I believe that was the one I was offered quite a few years ago for £2000 but didn't have the money😢 lucky you well done!

Colin

Barry,

i had managed to completely miss this thread! It's great, thanks for posting. Looking through the photos, it seems that there is no chassis, the leaf springs being mounted to the floor plates. Is that true, is the armoured hull structural?

Thats correct, its a monocoque body and only outer skin and floor plans are lightly armoured, majority of the body is 8 or 10mm with 12 and 14mm (the original armoured plate was metric) in some places like the front panel, roof hatches and front turret. All the internal panels and gussets are just thin steel 1.2 - 1.6mm.

Its a very agricultural design compared to the Humbers and Daimlers etc, ideal for Nuffield to build :-)

• 2 months later...

progress is being made on the Morris, been blasted and zinc primered. Now i can see all the dodgy repairs that had been done before, lots more welding to do! i decided to fit all the internal panels to help brace the body whilst its being welded so they have been blasted, painted and bolted in.

out with the welder again :-)

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Some how missed this thread until now, impressive work. Many years ago (somewhere around 30 :shocked:) the late Bernard Venners had a LRC and also the late Mike Hoffman come to think of it Bernard may have sold it to Mike I can't remember now David B may recall?

Pete

Some how missed this thread until now, impressive work. Many years ago (somewhere around 30 :shocked:) the late Bernard Venners had a LRC and also the late Mike Hoffman come to think of it Bernard may have sold it to Mike I can't remember now David B may recall?

At least 30 years ago Bernard rescued the remains of a Morris LRC from an Oxfordshire scrapyard, many years previously it had belonged to my Uncle, who bought it after the war and ran it, minus the turret, as a car, we used to play on it as kids, Bernard sold it on, it then had several owners before being fully restored, it now resides in the USA

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?883-Morris-Light-Reconnaissance-Car&p=115212#post115212

Edited by Nick Johns

Pete

o

No Pete,

I could not have answered that. I can rememember Bernard having it but don't know where it went. Mike Hofman would be a likely new owner as he was buying all the armoured cars he could at that stage.

I have to echo your sentiments though regarding this restoration - nice to see.

David.

Thanks Guys, this one was owned by a guy a Portsmouth for 20 odd years before i bought it, not sure where it came from before that though.

I had to have it once i learnt it was for sale, hopefully in a year or two it will be on the road and i can enjoy the endless hours of work :-)

• 2 months later...