Morris LRC MK2

RMS

Well i sold my beloved Jeep after 13 years of fun and have bought a new toy to restore (once the bedford is done!)

Picked up the Morris today, it was well and truly buried at the far end of a 60ft garage in Portsmouth with 15 years of hoarded junk piled high around it! The guy i bought it from has had about 20 years but it has not seen daylight since entering the garage.

Its plate indicates that it was built in March 1945, its armour had been cut in the past probably when it was demob'd but has mostly been repaired quite well, all the hatches and doors have been made new (long time ago) and one side door is the original. lots of work to be done, the biggest job will be making the turret and the cooling fan drives.

my plan is to strip the brakes out so its easier to move then start collecting parts and pictures ready to start the work next summer, unless i get to excited!

DSCF0210.jpg

DSCF0213.jpg

DSCF0219.jpg

DSCF0224.jpg

DSCF0231.jpg

• 1 year later...

Work finally started on the Morris stripping out the hill and removing all the cooling system .

Been a very time consuming process as Morris in their wisdom did not use any caged nuts on any if the internal panels and the access is near on impossible to the backsides!

Also picked up a spare engine with water pump and NOS side draught carb. 8esubu3e.jpgyzyjyguq.jpg

I am really looking forward to seeing the strip down and rebuild of this lovely wee vehicle. I've mocked up a cardboard 1/6th scale model of one of these and I'm waiting to start work on actually cutting up the plastic for it! So please, please post as many pictures as possible of every conceivable angle, feature and detail.

It's amazing just how little documentation is available on these great little vehicles, which is surprising considering how many were actually built. I'm pretty sure one of the Osprey authors stated that they none ever saw active service:wow: notwithstanding the pictures of then in use from Tunisia to Normandy! I've also read that by 1944, when the Tankies finally got to evaluate it, that very many of them were then moved over to the RE. I think I read that in a doco in the National Archives and I think I have a copy of it somewhere. I'll have a dig around for it and upload it when I find it.

RMS I am collecting bits for an engine rebuild so can you please remember me when your working in themI will pm you when I get some me time.:angel:

Old git have you the old plans in 1/35? I think it was Millitary modeling international (When Pat Ware was editor) they ran a scrachbuild progect one I think it was issue 1or2

David N

No problem David, I plan to strip mine down next month and start planning what parts I need etc. I will keep in touch, Ian west has gone a load of new made valve springs and some valves available I believe.

Old git, I have got quite a lot of documentation about the LRC's including parts, workshop and drivers manual. Also the cutting patterns for the armoured plate and construction guidance documents. You are welcome to view them if it helps. Some of the docs are available online on the LRC yahoo group.

Cheers

It's amazing just how little documentation is available on these great little vehicles, which is surprising considering how many were actually built. I'm pretty sure one of the Osprey authors stated that they none ever saw active service:wow: notwithstanding the pictures of then in use from Tunisia to Normandy!

Heh. My father was wireless operator/gunner in one for a while during the Italian campaign (3rd Carpathian Rifle Division). Unfortunately he's no longer with us.

I suspect the Osprey author only knew about the RAF ones intended for airfield defence.

Chris.

There's a few pictures around showing them in action in France, holland, Italy and Middle East or Persia. Although the majority of the pictures I have seen show them used on airfields.

Old git, I have got quite a lot of documentation about the LRC's including parts, workshop and drivers manual. Also the cutting patterns for the armoured plate and construction guidance documents. You are welcome to view them if it helps. Some of the docs are available online on the LRC yahoo group.

Wow, thank you! You've just made my day, in fact my whole week!!!! I'd love to see your docs, can you link me to the Yahoo LRC group? (EDIT: Just found a Yahoo British Armoured Cars group on Yahoo)

I'm not sure where I got the following note from but it may well have been from documents in the National Archives...

...just under 1000 Mk I vehicles were built in two batches from early 1942 to mid 1943, with the second batch being reduced in number before completion. Average cost was around £900.

225 were allocated to the Royal Air Force which may have been taken from the main order or built to a separate contract.

The improved Mk II with four wheel drive superseded it from late 1943 onwards, with over 1050 being ordered.

Records from June 1945 list 2274 on order, with 30 still to be delivered, which may refer to both marks though they state only Mk II.

Also noted is the fact that they would only be issued to Royal Engineer units, and reading between the lines it was not well thought of... "It is only since the Reconnaissance Corps was amalgamated with the Royal Armoured Corps that this vehicle has been examined by AFV designers, and although it was not possible to carry out any major modifications, certain stowage and belly armour alterations have been incorporated. Two schemes for increasing the belly armour have been developed, and successful trials of both have been carried out. The 21st Army Group scheme will be introduced for retrospective actions for vehicles already in service, the Department of Tank Design scheme will be incorporated in production"

Below are a couple of famous shots of LRC's in Normandy, (and somewhere I have a pic of an LRC driving over the rubble that was Caen). I'm assuming the Sherman Flail in the first picture, and certainly the Folding Boat Equipment in the 2nd picture, indicates RE? If they are RE then 40 would indicate an RE HQ Unit for either Armoured or Infantry Division, whilst 51 might indicate an RE Field Company for an Infantry Division.

EDIT: Just looking at these pics again and I can just make out the 3rd Inf Division symbol above the 51 in the first picture. Old eyes ain't what they used to be, doh!

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORMANDY 1944. © IWM (B 7540)IWM Non Commercial Licence

A Morris light reconnaissance car and, in the background, Sherman Crab flail tanks move up to the battle area for Operation 'Goodwood', 18 July 1944.

THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORMANDY 1944. © IWM (B 6233)IWM Non Commercial Licence

A Morris light reconnaissance car and other vehicles passing through Bretteville, 30 June 1944.

Edited by Old Git

Wow, thank you! You've just made my day, in fact my whole week!!!! I'd love to see your docs, can you link me to the Yahoo LRC group? (EDIT: Just found a Yahoo British Armoured Cars group on Yahoo)

I'm not sure where I got the following note from but it may well have been from documents in the National Archives...

Below are a couple of famous shots of LRC's in Normandy, (and somewhere I have a pic of an LRC driving over the rubble that was Caen). I'm assuming the Sherman Flail in the first picture, and certainly the Folding Boat Equipment in the 2nd picture, indicates RE? If they are RE then 40 would indicate an RE HQ Unit for either Armoured or Infantry Division, whilst 51 might indicate an RE Field Company for an Infantry Division.

EDIT: Just looking at these pics again and I can just make out the 3rd Inf Division symbol above the 51 in the first picture. Old eyes ain't what they used to be, doh!

THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORMANDY 1944. © IWM (B 7540)IWM Non Commercial Licence

A Morris light reconnaissance car and, in the background, Sherman Crab flail tanks move up to the battle area for Operation 'Goodwood', 18 July 1944.

THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORMANDY 1944. © IWM (B 6233)IWM Non Commercial Licence

A Morris light reconnaissance car and other vehicles passing through Bretteville, 30 June 1944.

Hiya,

The right one is a Leyland Retriever Pontoon Carrier....the other is a Leyland Retriever too not 100% sure wich body model is fitted....;)

Cheers,

Louis