95mm Infantry Gun

cmpman

Rob asked for some photos of this gun over on MLU, and I took a dozen or so. I know when I was trying to research this gun a while back there was very little on the net about it, so I am going to post the photos here as well so there is a bit more exposure for anyone else trying to research them. The photos are of an example located here in the Shilo museum. Are there any more examples out there, or have these guns all disappeared?

shilomuseumshots053_zps41b4216d.jpg

shilomuseumshots052_zps012ad215.jpg

shilomuseumshots051_zps823070e2.jpg

shilomuseumshots047_zps0625825a.jpg

shilomuseumshots048_zps387a2c1a.jpg

shilomuseumshots049_zps05319170.jpg

shilomuseumshots050_zps73c21e3e.jpg

Hey Rob Thanks for that, Im sure these pictures will get quite a bit of exposure. It has a high production number but I read that there was around 800 built but were obsolete by mid 1944 due to too many design faults and failures and with the introduction of the recoiless rifle it was no longer needed !

You can see that bits of 6 pdr and 25 pdr were used and I believe the 3.7" AA barrel was cut down and re-chambered.

I do not know of any others in preservation which is why I asked for pictures of this one for reference .

Thanks again for taking the time to photograph it. :tup::

Rob...............................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

I've got bags full of rocking horse poo, I'd swap the lot for a 95mm how........:D

All joking aside, when David had the Centaurs, we worked out most of the issues to build a 95mm. A 25 pr ring and block is easy to find and I even found some cut in half 3.7 barrels in NZ. The mantlet mods and cradle would be the bigger problems, not an issue for an infantry gun of course.

Jack, no need really. The US was fitting the 105 howitzer which was an equivalent and the 95mm was fitted into Churchill, Cromwell and Centaur.

Generally, however, British armoured divisions equipped with Shermans did not have the 105mm early on so relied on the excellent HE performance of the 75mm. No doubt, somebody suggested fitting the 95 though!

Jack, no need really. The US was fitting the 105 howitzer which was an equivalent and the 95mm was fitted into Churchill, Cromwell and Centaur.

Generally, however, British armoured divisions equipped with Shermans did not have the 105mm early on so relied on the excellent HE performance of the 75mm. No doubt, somebody suggested fitting the 95 though!

Thanks Adrian.

Never heard of this gun before, were any issued in WW2?

Not many people have, they were rushed into service before trials were completed and problems did arise later on.

The land carriage deign was scraped because of this but around 800 were built,the Tank gun continued to be used.

As far as I am aware there are no 95mm infantry guns in the UK,the only one I knew of was in the Canadian Artillery Museum and Rob Love out there in Shilo was kind enough to take some pictures of it.

I think by the design it was intended to be an Airborne support weapon what with the size and the folding trail but I guess we will never know .

However I would like one !:cool2:

Rob.................rnixartillery.