Ford Model T project?

defiant1uk

Dear All,

I am a volunteer member of a narrow gauge railway museum charity called the Moseley Railway Trust (http://www.mrt.org.uk), who operate the Apedale Valley Light Railway in North Staffordshire, UK

My main interest is in the Light Railways (& trench tramways) of WW1. I have been involved with & lead several rolling stock projects and locomotive restorations so far.

One of the next projects that I am considering is a "crewe Tractor" - a small locomotive designed for the light trench tramways. It was based upon a Ford Model T chassis & could revert to road use if required.

modelT_small.jpg

I would be very interested to hear from anyone with a complete chassis that might be suitable for the above please?! Tucket Brothers seem to be the main commercial source of these vehicles in the UK - but I guess there may also be private sales too?

At the moment I'm still researching the design & sourcing rail wheels before going too far. I'd appreciate any leads or advice that this forum could provide please? I'd really like to get hold of a simple 2D plan of the vehicle chassis & would really appreciate any leads please.

It may be of interest that i'm also the event organiser for the Trust's major "Tracks to the Trenches - 2014" WW1 centenary event where we hope to be able to present a lot of these types of "tractors" & vehicles. The event has its own website here: www.ww1-event.org

I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Thanks in advance,

Gareth Roberts

Edited by defiant1uk
typos

A couple of pictures fom Motor Traction November 13th, 1918. Send me a PM with your details if you'd like a copy of the full article.

"The Ford runs up under its own power and on its ordinary wheels to the point on the railway where it has to be converted into a rail tractor."

IMG_0003.jpg

"The Ford chassis after its conversion into a rail tractor for military transport. It is shown carrying ammunition on one of the fronts, as well as hauling two trailing vehicles."

IMG_0004.jpg

I remember (from about 40 years ago) that the Ravenglas and Eskdale (Ratty) Railway had several locomotives based on the Model 'T' Ford. Also a letter, or preferably a visit to the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway down here in Kent might have some hardware and/or useful information.

Jon

There was at least one brass radiator version of the T Ford 'Crewe Tractor'. L.N.W.R. works production was claimed to be about 150 by October 1918 , the change from road to rail could be accomplished in 1 hour and it was fitted with a device that enabled it to be lifted and turned 'end to end' when in rail use.The change from brass to black radiator was effected in the U.S.A. in August 1916 but at Manchester in the UK not until mid 1917. Obviously in all these situations old stock was used up first.

Ford tractor 1.jpg

Richard Peskett.

• 6 months later...

This is the before....NOLAN.jpg

and after NOL00035.jpg

of my two ton convertible Nolan TT100-8 Road Rail trailer, still working on the Dodge to tow it tho'

It was only made in 1986, just had a hard life on the Norfolk and Portsmouth Belt Line Railroad - not far from the Hampton Roads port where all those Signal Corps shipment images were snapped in WW2.

The whole story of the trailer is here;

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/NOLAN.htm

Edited by Gordon_M