1/76 Scammell "Snow White" - France 1940

Neilie

Here is my 1/76 Scammell Pioneer T/T "Snow White" as inspired by a photo of it passing through Neubourg, France during the BEF retreat in June 1940. It is thought to be a recovery vehicle of the 1st Armoured Division. As the tank didn't show any markings, I used "artistic" license and marked it up as a 3 Btn RTR Cruiser as depicted on the Armoured Acorn site.

The tractor is a modified Airfix, the trailer is scratch-built and the tank is Milicast. Decals and markings are from Dan Taylor Models, Starmer's Armour and the spares box.

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

DSCF1058.JPG

DSCF1037.JPG

DSCF1045.JPG

Thanks chaps for the nice comments. I didn't really keep track of my time on this but it took a few weeks. I spent a lot of time on the tractor, adding a scratch-built vertical winch (which is barely visible), a modified old style hook-up and the old detachable bogie trailer. I paint the basecoat with an airbrush but hand brush the disruptive pattern - apply a gloss coat of varnish - add pin washes of almost black to accentuate the details - add transfers - apply a matt coat of varnish, dry-brush in a lighter shade of the base colour to bring out the detail. As a final step, I use Tamiya pastels to add dust, rust sparingly.

These steps are done with drying time in between.

There is also a photo of this combination in North Africa with the same older style 20 ton trailer. It may have had a 30 ton trailer later.

Cheers,

Neil

• 3 months later...

Hello Simon,

First let me apologize for not responding sooner. I plain didn't see your nice comments and questions until now. Yes, the tires were modified using .010x.020 plastic strip and I have done enough, that I can do one tire in roughly 40 mins. It is worth the effort, I think. As far as plans for the trailer, I did have them from an old Airfix Magazine (1979) which had the older tractor and trailer. I believe they are John Church plans and are still available. When the BEF went to France, they initially had only this type of trailer until later in the war when the standard 20 ton rear loading one came into production.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

Neil