Any last minute buying tips? Bedford MJr.

Savarus

Question

Hi all!

You'll have to forgive me; this is my first real post to the forum after introductions so still not sure where all the topics go yet. Hopefully I'm not mucking up anyone's nice neat filing structure or rehashing something I shouldn't be!

Anyway, I know the MJ camper conversion topic has been covered plenty and I assure you I'm working hard to digest all the great feedback on it in the various forums but I was hoping for some first thoughts on a specific line of vehicles before I view them tomorrow & potentially spend more than I should be.

The vehicles I'll be looking at are from Withams. Here are the links to their respective pages.

http://www.mod-sales.com/vehicle/search/14691/Bedford_AWD_4_Ton.htm

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,52,/16929/BEDFORD.htm

My first concern is price. I'm having trouble finding any kind of price-guide for the MJ and have to admit I'm walking in a bit blind. I've seen fully converted campers going for £5,000 and rusted old heaps with crane bodies going for nearly £9,000. Either no-one really knows how much to ask for their truck or a benchmark price is a hard thing to find!

I realise price depends on a lot of factors but would really appreciate some heads-up before I take the plunge. £5,600 and £8100 (inc VAT) are big numbers to me & I'd like to know I won't be making a huge mistake.

Now I've never traded with Withams before but from what I gather they're THE people to go to. I feel like I can trust their prices & that I'll be getting an excellent truck for my money from them. What I'd really like to know is am I being naive?

Does anyone have any first thoughts on the condition of the vehicles in the links & their respective prices? Will it really be a case of getting what I pay for here?

Many thanks.

Stu.

Very slight possibility there might be one or two lurking around in my truck so I'll check & let you know when it's delivered. Can you post a photo of one of your existing clamps so I'll know if I've got a match? (I'm guessing you'd prefer matching ones if possible.) Will keep an eye out at the boot sales for you too. All sorts of stuff turns up there.

Re DAF

Things I've learnt the hard way.

Do not take is for a first drive on soft wet grass it can get stuck.

Yesterday I was working on a site where the 6WD Volvo Dump trucks were sliding so was I but we kept going.

The Diff lock only locks the centre Diff in the transfer box not the axles. This must never be used on hard ground other wise it wrecks the transfer box and they are expensive.

Check the universal joints on the front and rear propshafts and grease them including the sliders. both mine were knackered. the rear let go driving up Saltash high street.

Make sure that all the clips and catches are fitted and tight on the cupola mine was last seen frisbeeing across some mud flats.

The GS body parts and sides are very heavy. I sold all the sides, Hoops and Canvas on Ebay. when you take the sides off there are some very substantial brackets on the edge of the body that can catch on to gate posts fences etc.

Steer clear of Gurkha security bods they tend to go dewy eyed when they see the old 4 "tlonners"

Fuel consumption is quite shocking if you wind it up. watch out for leaky fuel tanks

DSC02382.jpg

I managed to register mine as a Special Vehicle. so no MOT, Tachograph.

Remember empty they weigh 6.5 Tonnes so forget 7.5 tonne if you intend to fit a camper.

Dave Crouch is the man for Parts. 0116 279 2245

Watch out because they will demolish the average garden wall no problem.

If there is a large vertical dent in the door somebody has tried to open the door while the cab is tilted they are very heavy and can be badly distorted.

it is very hard work trying to lift the cab if there is any weight behind the seats.

Even so every time I see mine I just want to drive it!

David

Thanks David. That's some really useful stuff. If you hear your name on the wind it'll probably be me thanking you for saving me from some of those "kick yourself" moments that you mentioned! Alternatively it might be the missus calling you for dinner!

That's an interesting outfit you've got there too. What exactly is it rigged up for?

And yes, mine is parked right outside my living room window (for now at least, 'til I can get it into a lockup) and every time I look out & see it, I want to drive it! Very fun to drive! Actually had it wheelspinning in a big boggy puddle the other day. The puddle just didn't stand a chance really!

Sadly, no J brackets lurking inside for Tony. I did remember to look!

Anyway, here she is in all her just-delivered finery!

2012-10-02 14.43.58.jpg

Thanks very much! It was pretty immaculate to begin with but Withams paint plant did a superb job with it.

Have to say despite all the negative feedback I initially had on here about Withams, they've really come through for me. Full set of brand new rubber, 4 new batteries, full valet & paint, complete tool kit & auxillery air lines included. Even some free grenade pins in the glove compartment! (I've yet to find the grenades they belong to! GULP!)

Can honestly say its been a glitch-free purchase! A week later on delivery than expected but for the result it was worth every second! Nice one Withams!

I'll post the project in a new thread as it kicks off and look forward to comparing notes with you Tony!

Thanks Grubber. Erm, no I still haven't got an MJ but that's kind of a moot point now as I bought a Leyland DAF instead! Cheers for the offer though. Can you post some photos? Be nice to see what you've got and who knows, you might get a buyer on here!

Nice DAF you have there, has it got the Cummins?

Regarding the body J bolts. The Army would have used these and NOT ratchet straps.... Someone has nicked them off the truck probably, as they are like rocking horse s*it....

If it was mine, I'd keep the tail lift and use it as a lift up to the door of the body you will be putting on. It will also add extra security. Here is my MJ, a Radar Repair Workshop.

IMG_1107.jpg

Thanks very much. I'm well chuffed with it! Engine is standard 5.9 turbo-diesel Cummins throwing out some 145Hp.

That was sort of the intention with the tail lift, though I'll be building the cabin door into the side of the body rather than on the back. With some modifications the tail lift will become a folding box of sorts... an on-board "garage" for a motorbike, tools and storage of the awning, which I'll be making out of the old roof canvas.

Here's a link to my page on The Overlander where I've posted some rough design sketches & various info.

http://www.theoverlander.org/my-wheels/trucks/leyland-daf-with-a-twist.html

Hell of a nice MJ you've got there. Very clean! Did you buy it in that condition or did you spruce it up yourself?

Thanks very much. I'm well chuffed with it! Engine is standard 5.9 turbo-diesel Cummins throwing out some 145Hp.

That was sort of the intention with the tail lift, though I'll be building the cabin door into the side of the body rather than on the back. With some modifications the tail lift will become a folding box of sorts... an on-board "garage" for a motorbike, tools and storage of the awning, which I'll be making out of the old roof canvas.

Here's a link to my page on The Overlander where I've posted some rough design sketches & various info.

http://www.theoverlander.org/my-wheels/trucks/leyland-daf-with-a-twist.html

Hell of a nice MJ you've got there. Very clean! Did you buy it in that condition or did you spruce it up yourself?

Hello mate,

If you go onto my profile page and click on the Bedford pictures it tells you all about it on there. Thats the condition I bought it in, I haven't done anything with it apart from a new fuel lift pump and had the fuel lift pipe in the tank brazed as it fell out the union. Also put a new output shaft oil seal in the main gearbox and a full drop and renew of all oils and filters.

Wow! So clean! Looks like it's never been used at all! Congrats on a real nice buy. They didn't have any bedfords in that good condition when I went up there. If they had I might not have been swayed to look at the DAFs. Those MJs really are nice looking trucks. So much character! For my purposes I'm glad I went DAF but if I were to be a 2 truck bloke then the other would definitely be an MJ.

Wow! So clean! Looks like it's never been used at all! Congrats on a real nice buy. They didn't have any bedfords in that good condition when I went up there. If they had I might not have been swayed to look at the DAFs. Those MJs really are nice looking trucks. So much character! For my purposes I'm glad I went DAF but if I were to be a 2 truck bloke then the other would definitely be an MJ.

Thanks mate,

The truck has only done 3,500 miles and the box was only issued to 9 AAC for the last 2 years of its service life, the rest of the time it was at Donnington Storage depot. Good luck with your conversion. The Cummins is a very good engine so you should have a reliable truck...