Lewis Magazine Box

tim gray

Hi Guys,

Picked up a lewis mag box at an antique fair, bit rusty on the outside but not too bad internally flaky paint etc. The saving grace is that the divider is stilll fitted along with a tube type mount and strap (presumed for the loading tool? ) and it only cost a fiver.

What would be the correct colour for the external and internal, currently the external has no finish and the internal is a pale green similar to the landrover ambulance.

Any info appreciated

Regards

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim ,

All the ones I have ever seen are painted at least externally in service brown with a metal catch in the middle , leather strap type handle and white stencilled lettering underneath the handle to tell you what it is .

On the subject of Lewis Guns - Do you know where I can get a transport box and a Gun carry handle from ?? - I would also be interested in getting hold of one of the convertor blocks to allow the Lewis Gun to be mounted to the Vickers tripod but know these are rare ! .

Hope you are keeping well mate ... speak soon rgds Glynn

Cheers glyn,I had been looking at images on the web and was confused as they seem to be black and green also, i was aware the ww1 period vickers boxes were service brown colour but not sure on other types.I am currently looking thro the loft to see if i can oblige with the lewis carry handle, will PM you IF i strike lucky (memory may be a little senile on this one)Regards TimPS Whats your intrest in lewis guns anyway, apart from the obvious web name?

• 1 month later...
Cheers glyn,I had been looking at images on the web and was confused as they seem to be black and green also, i was aware the ww1 period vickers boxes were service brown colour but not sure on other types.I am currently looking thro the loft to see if i can oblige with the lewis carry handle, will PM you IF i strike lucky (memory may be a little senile on this one)Regards TimPS Whats your intrest in lewis guns anyway, apart from the obvious web name?

Hi Tim ,

I believe they are this seasons "must have" accessory !!:cheesy:

I have a very nice 1914 Bsa one which looks the part in the early trucks so to speak as most of these were re-issued in the run up and at the start of ww2 - Hows the hunting going for the carry handle ? Any luck ? cheers Glynn