What have you found in the bowels of your MV?

BRDM Driver

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

under the turret basket of the Cromwell I found a live round, 7.62mm ex finish army with wooden bullet, I assume it was a blank to be fired with a shredder fitted to the muzzle. that or they ran out of copper and hoped no one would notice the wooden bullets :-D

Best thing...

a few years back we were doing a "running restoration" (that means get the thing running...and stopping, thats it) for a local regiment (D Sqd. RCD) of their T-17 Staghound. this had been sitting outside as a monumnent since about 1969.

fast forward to their 125th anniversary year of 2008, they requested this machine to be in a parade in june, downtown in Ottawa, could we get her running? Its the end of Jan. 2008 at this point....

Long story, short, there were endlessly long days, I'm sure I couldn't have done it if Robin Craig hadn't shown up from time to time to lend an expert hand and advice (oh, and wake me up that time while I was sleeping on the floor while bleeding the brakes late one night).

So, most of the Canadian Armor was left in Europe after the war, and so, much of whats here is Training Tanks etc., not used in combat, and so, this is what makes this story so wonderful. After pulling the Turret and Basket, there was of course, 6 inches of muck on the floor of the hull, which I set about shovelling out, and in there was a pile of spent .30 casings, and a coin, from Holland, dated 1942....so, a good guess it was one of 50 Stag's that came back to Canada after the war.

The parade went well, with the old girl chuffing along, and we had found a former RCD staghound crew commander, who flew his original pennant of 1945 on the mast once again.

nice feeling that

Happy Christmas

Nick CWC Canada

While tearing down the ferret Mk.1/2 I found a couple of candy wrappers with Arabic printing "Malteasers" on them. They were under the transmission. a black ink pen was under the engine itself. While tearing down the S-3 light weight I found a 1968 dated 10 pence coin. The coin, I carry with me in my wallet as a defacto "challenge coin". So far, it's the coolest thing I've found in an MV......

Matt

While tearing down the ferret Mk.1/2 I found a couple of candy wrappers with Arabic printing "Malteasers" on them.

My money is on them coming from a British soldier's Individual Rations. In Composite Rations (for 4 or 10 men), we tended to get Cadbury's Dairy Milk or Tiffin; in Individual Rations you saw more variation. But whatever, they were evidently sourced from wherever, because we regularly saw Arabic script on them. And usually the brown chocolate was dry, oxidised white.

Gents

it is both a military and civil offence to have upon ones person live or blank ammunition or parts there of on their possession.

If you later find any live rounds, blank rounds, empty cases or pyrotechnics on your person you must hand them in.

THIS APPLIES TO SOLDIERS AND THE CIVILIAN WORLD.

for those of you that haven't followed this you are breaking the law.

Please surrender to the nearest police station or TA centre with evidence of where you found it.

If it's not on your FAC as ammunition you will be arrested and charged.

Its not for debate and my duty to inform you to deal with anything on yourselves swiftly.

Don't ignore this! You've gone public on a Forum!

Thank you.

Gents

it is both a military and civil offence to have upon ones person live or blank ammunition or parts there of on their possession.

If you later find any live rounds, blank rounds, empty cases or pyrotechnics on your person you must hand them in.

THIS APPLIES TO SOLDIERS AND THE CIVILIAN WORLD.

for those of you that haven't followed this you are breaking the law.

Please surrender to the nearest police station or TA centre with evidence of where you found it.

If it's not on your FAC as ammunition you will be arrested and charged.

Its not for debate and my duty to inform you to deal with anything on yourselves swiftly.

Don't ignore this! You've gone public on a Forum!

Thank you.

No debate required because in the UK it's not against the law for civilians to possess blank rounds (of less than 1" in diameter) or magazines, no firearms certificate required.

Firearms Act 1968

No debate required because in the UK it's not against the law for civilians to possess blank rounds (of less than 1" in diameter) or magazines, no firearms certificate required.

Firearms Act 1968

That's luck as wasn't going to post that I found a load of 9mm ammo in the nooks and crannies when stripping my jeep, some fired but some not!!! Even inside the chassis rails, they fell out when knocking the spring bolts out!!!

My money is on them coming from a British soldier's Individual Rations. In Composite Rations (for 4 or 10 men), we tended to get Cadbury's Dairy Milk or Tiffin; in Individual Rations you saw more variation. But whatever, they were evidently sourced from wherever, because we regularly saw Arabic script on them. And usually the brown chocolate was dry, oxidised white.

That's interesting. I'd assumed that they had been enjoyed by a crew member(s) but my fevered imagination thought that they were picked up someplace else (Op. Granby)......

Matt

That's luck as wasn't going to post that I found a load of 9mm ammo in the nooks and crannies when stripping my jeep, some fired but some not!!! Even inside the chassis rails, they fell out when knocking the spring bolts out!!!

Are you sure they are blank?

Firearms Act 1968

Are you sure as my mates a fire arms officer with the Met and he tells me otherwise. Blank can still seriously injur someone at close quarters.

if I've got this wrong then I've been I'll advised by police and MoD.

Are you sure as my mates a fire arms officer with the Met and he tells me otherwise. Blank can still seriously injur someone at close quarters.

if I've got this wrong then I've been I'll advised by police and MoD.

It's pretty common knowledge (amongst FAC holders) that even FEO's knowledge of the myriad firearms acts is occasionally "somewhat patchy" and they rarely admit "I don't know". It's also not unheard of for licensing departments to "make it up as we go" (see Durham Const. and medical letters).

I presume that for "fire arms officer" you mean ARV crew/AFO type- I can't imagine he has an intimate understanding of the firearms acts and their subtleties (not a dig, but he has no real need to, anymore than a beat copper does). I also imagine (from what I've seen of ex-police firearms crew) that he's also not one to admit "I don't know".

I believe the MOD "I have no live rounds or empty cases [...] in my possession, Sir!" is more about people stealing MOD property (aside from live rounds, obviously).

You can walk into any gunshop in the land and buy a tub of blanks (usually .22 or 8mm, but that's semantics) without any paperwork, other than ID if you're fortunate enough to look anywhere near 18.

My kitchen knives can still seriously injure someone at close range (unlike (new?) blank firers that have to be top venting). It doesn't mean I'll be surrendering them any time soon.

Edited by bobfett

It's pretty common knowledge (amongst FAC holders) that even FEO's knowledge of the myriad firearms acts is occasionally "somewhat patchy" and they rarely admit "I don't know". It's also not unheard of for licensing departments to "make it up as we go" (see Durham Const. and medical letters).

I presume that for "fire arms officer" you mean ARV crew/AFO type- I can't imagine he has an intimate understanding of the firearms acts and their subtleties (not a dig, but he has no real need to, anymore than a beat copper does). I also imagine (from what I've seen of ex-police firearms crew) that he's also not one to admit "I don't know".

I believe the MOD "I have no live rounds or empty cases [...] in my possession, Sir!" is more about people stealing MOD property (aside from live rounds, obviously).

You can walk into any gunshop in the land and buy a tub of blanks (usually .22 or 8mm, but that's semantics) without any paperwork, other than ID if you're fortunate enough to look anywhere near 18.

My kitchen knives can still seriously injure someone at close range (unlike (new?) blank firers that have to be top venting). It doesn't mean I'll be surrendering them any time soon.

Thank you for clarity.

Every day is a School Day :)

My wife used to work at Rowntree's / Nestle here in York.

When she went to the staff shop she often came back with things like Kit Kat packed in a different wrapper and Arabic printed.

Just the run of the mill surplus from a regular order that got sold probably at a discount to anyone who was not bothered about the wrapper. i.e. The MOD

The White oxidising comes from being in long term storage, like an Easter Egg over a year old. Nowt wrong with that though.

As an aside to this with Rat packs I was eating Aztec bars 5 years after they stopped being sold in the shops.