What have you found in the bowels of your MV?

BRDM Driver

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My second Saladin hull was completely stripped inside and out, sand blasted and primed.

A final clean-up of the insides revealed a build-up of grundge still under one of the centre bevel boxes.

I noticed a solid lump in the grundge, which turned out to be a Timex wrist watch. The watch was full of oil (typical for the bottom of a Saladin) The old leather strap was rotten but the watch is still in quite good condition. It can still be persuaded to run, after a fashion after tipping out the oil and replacing with white spirit.

Jon

1981 and back in the turret of a Scorpion after a number of years in Squadron HQ and Command Troop. Trip to Hohne Ranges. Convert an awful lot of tax-payer's money into empty cases. But not as many as I'd have liked.

It was decided to have a proper battle run (on Battle Run 20) with a full load (42) of HESH, SHELL and SMK and an overload of 7.62 1B1T link. The link was shoehorned in wherever we could. First up we engaged an enemy tank, then we brassed up a ridge with the coax. Then we were instructed to lay smoke on the ridge. We were told by the Instructor, Gunnery at the back that ours was the best smokescreen of the day. Chuffed. Good day at the office. Then we were detailed to brass up the ridge again.

STOPPAGE!

We went through the drills but couldn't get the GPMG going again. Eventually we came off the range in disgrace. Bad day at the office.

Unloaded about 20 boxes of 200 * 1B1T to be distributed to the remaining troops. But I was sure there was one more box than I counted out.

Fast forward two weeks, back in Paderborn, need to get the radios out of the back of the turret (forget why).

Oh look, here's a box of 7.62 link. Oops.

Now I might take this box of 7.62 to the Squadron Sergeant Major to be dealt with properly and face his wrath, but he and I never saw eye to eye and I thought better of it. I could speak to my vehicle commander (troop sergeant) but was the SSM's best buddy, he and I didn't see eye to eye either and I foresaw the same result.

"Sam" Brown, my driver had the keys to the troop sergeant's locker. We dumped it in there and denied all knowledge. Given that no questions were ever asked, the assumption was that he took the box of 7.62 to his mucker the SSM and that was the end of that.

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

not mine military vehicles but here goes.

i have had a saturday job to work on vehicles to afford parts needed.

we fetched a military 109 from denmark what had live ammo behind the dash.

another vehicle we picked up in the uk had a machette behind the seats.

a few other vehicles carried blanks and i was given the lot, including the live ones.

i knew a friend that shot large caliber weapons and he made shure i could shoot the fmj's on the range.

it did help that i had a fire arms licence for a .38 and a .22 enfield.

had some fun that day.

Hi

when l flushed the fuel tank out on the diamond t, rattling around inside was an empty wine bottle! Also when

it came to taking the dynamo off, caked in aload of grease was an old adjustable spanner. And finally when it came to

Stripping the gauges out, tucked away in a canvas sleeve is its service history from the Danish army from the 50s and 60s.

M5 HST :- Both jewel light lenses from the dash, lucky find, Willard battery cell stopper.

M75 :- .50 blank, 7.62 blank, .50 burst case extractor.

Sherman :- Amazingly, absolutely nothing!

Cromwell :- Heaps of .30 cal cartridges and link.

Cat D4 :- Two bras and a pair of knickers in the fuel tank.......